Discuss Do I need to bond steel stud partition? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

bleach

-
Reaction score
Hi all,

this is a domestic refurb I have looked at but the builder has created a bathroom using steel stud work. This is going to be fully enclosed with plasterboard but I would have to run some cables in it. He used the steel because there was just enough left from a previous job, all other stud walls are timber.
Would you bond it? And what reg number would apply in this instance?
Its tns.

many thanks in advance!!!

Hi all,

this is a domestic refurb I have looked at but the builder has created a bathroom using steel stud work. This is going to be fully enclosed with plasterboard but I would have to run some cables in it. He used the steel because there was just enough left from a previous job, all other stud walls are timber.
Would you bond it? And what reg number would apply in this instance?
Its tns.

many thanks in advance!!!

Not unless you're name is Coburn!!

I would not have thought bonding it necessary,and if you did,selecting a place where bonding on one section,had good continuity to all the others,would not be guaranteed ... especially if the builder was as thrifty with his other materials...like screws :conehead:

It is a requirement in Florida I think, part of the building code apparently, after a kitchen fitter screwed through a cable making the stud wall live and another trade got a fatal shock fitting an exhaust pipe from a dryer which was in contact with the stud. I can only assume they hadn't used an RCD or whatever the US name for it is. Personally I'd be inclined to use safe zones, grommets and RCD protection.

Last edited:
It is a requirement in Florida I think, part of the building code apparently, after a kitchen fitter screwed through a cable making the stud wall live and another trade got a shock fitting an exhaust pipe from a dryer which was in contact with the stud. I can only assume they hadn't used an RCD or whatever the US name for it is. Personally I'd be inclined to use safe zones, grommets and RCD protection.

You have too anyway with metal stud work.

Unless you meet certain requirements of the BGB.

It is a requirement in Florida I think, part of the building code apparently, after a kitchen fitter screwed through a cable making the stud wall live and another trade got a fatal shock fitting an exhaust pipe from a dryer which was in contact with the stud. I can only assume they hadn't used an RCD or whatever the US name for it is. Personally I'd be inclined to use safe zones, grommets and RCD protection.

It's a GFCI or Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter,like an RCD,they are best tested by doing a DB swop,with no prior survey....:icon12:

Just re read your 1st post.

fully enclosed.

wouldn't bother them.

Would you go around bonding all the RSJ's in a house before they become fully enclosed?

The entire upstairs of my house is steel partitions, when I went to hang the TV on the wall it was a slight problem as couldn't find anything to fix it to, I prefer a big chunk of wood and a fat screw.

The entire upstairs of my house is steel partitions, when I went to hang the TV on the wall it was a slight problem as couldn't find anything to fix it to, I prefer a big chunk of wood and a fat screw.

I'm with you there bonny lad .... There's nowt better than a good fat screw!!

I'm sure one or two of you gents will jump all over me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a case a little while ago about a lass getting electrocuted while mopping water off her kitchen floor while holding a pipe connected to her boiler?

If I remember right, a screw fixing the plaster board had pierced the cable making the wall and the pools of water on the floor live and she got zapped up the arm holding the wet cloth and down the other arm holding the pipe.

Wasn't that wall a steel framed job or am I mistaken?

I'm sure one or two of you gents will jump all over me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a case a little while ago about a lass getting electrocuted while mopping water off her kitchen floor while holding a pipe connected to her boiler?

If I remember right, a screw fixing the plaster board had pierced the cable making the wall and the pools of water on the floor live and she got zapped up the arm holding the wet cloth and down the other arm holding the pipe.

Wasn't that wall a steel framed job or am I mistaken?

Yeah she was trying to turn the stopcock off as boiler was leaking whilst kneeling in the puddle of water. MF stud wall and cable between immersion double pole switch and flex outlet plate had been screwed through clipping line and cpc connecting it to the MF stud. Apparently the mcb had been reset so many times by the electrical contractor the fault current blew part of the screw away and in doing so cleared the cpc and left the stud work live. Awful isn't it and I think one of the blokes involved walked away with a £1000 fine!

Reply to Do I need to bond steel stud partition? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net