Search the forum,

Discuss DOL starter problem in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

Hogshaw

image.jpg

This photo is a DOL starter with a start and stop button on front of enclosure, I'm looking this contactor to pull in via a 24 hour time clock from 8.00-9.00am without removing the start stop facility but when the timer triggers contactor I also want the stop button to be valid.

Thanks in advance

So long as you parallel the start and stop buttons with momentary timed pulses (start signal at 08:00, stop signal at 09:00) that should work, however be careful of modifying the control system for equipment as it must still be safe and items starting without apparent input can cause danger.

What purpose are you putting this to... what measures are you taking to ensure the auto start up is not a risk to anyone in the area or even maintenance personal.

Using a pulse start timer is not always as simple as it initially seems, if you require it to drop out the contactor then you require a N/C channel that is not affected by the timer when it call for 'ON' ... and vice versa basically a 2 channel pulsed timer with independant channel timers.
You could have the time clock act as a retaining latch but this then gives the timer priority on the stop circuit which won't be allowed ...

You need to tell us exactly what its controlling to give you a accurate response.

The DOL starter is controlling a feeding system for pigs and there is a N/C paddle switch on the last mail bin to cut motor off when bins are full but I want this timeclock to bring on feeding system first thing in the morning

What purpose are you putting this to... what measures are you taking to ensure the auto start up is not a risk to anyone in the area or even maintenance personal.

Using a pulse start timer is not always as simple as it initially seems, if you require it to drop out the contactor then you require a N/C channel that is not affected by the timer when it call for 'ON' ... and vice versa basically a 2 channel pulsed timer with independant channel timers.
You could have the time clock act as a retaining latch but this then gives the timer priority on the stop circuit which won't be allowed ...

You need to tell us exactly what its controlling to give you a accurate response.

See the cables going into number 14 connection? Maybe I put them through a relay and the 9.00 signal could activate relay which would knock my coil out? And my 8.00 pulse signal to bring contactor in could go direct to coil for a split second ?

The DOL starter is controlling a feeding system for pigs and there is a N/C paddle switch on the last mail bin to cut motor off when bins are full but I want this timeclock to bring on feeding system first thing in the morning

So what happens if an intermediate bin runs empty while the last bin is still full? Do they have slide gates?

I’ve put a fair number of bunker feed systems in, you’re going to need a little more than the starter and a relay.

be a cheaper option to buy an alarm clock, put kettle on, feed pigs.

So what happens if an intermediate bin runs empty while the last bin is still full? Do they have slide gates?

I’ve put a fair number of bunker feed systems in, you’re going to need a little more than the starter and a relay.

At the minute I'm thinking a 2 channel pulse timer one channel to take contactor in at 8.00 and one channel to trigger a relay at 9.00, so I've two relays with the stop signal running through them one for the paddle switch to cut motor of when bins are full and one for the 9.00 stop signal from timer which ever comes first?

Thanks in advance

Reply to DOL starter problem in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net