Discuss Dyson vacuum cleaners in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Groot

-
Reaction score
Hi! Could anyone tell me if it's worth pat testing a dyson vacuum cleaner?I know there class 2 so you can't do the earth test but could do a visual inspection and possibly a insulation resistance test? But seeing as there's no metal parts other than screw heads can this be done?

Hi! Could anyone tell me if it's worth pat testing a dyson vacuum cleaner?I know there class 2 so you can't do the earth test but could do a visual inspection and possibly a insulation resistance test? But seeing as there's no metal parts other than screw heads can this be done?
Depends what you have agreed with your client, an EICR doesn't include testing portable and fixed appliances. Appliance testing come under the code of practice for ISITEE.

Hi,i take it that this is a commercial enterprise?
From what i can remember,they are not warranted or recommended for commercial or industrial use,so may pose an insurance issue...

A pal of mine,who ran a supply and servicing business,for all cleaning machines,has filled a few skips with these models,at companies who did not realise this,before purchasing a dozen...

No bags,but lots of expensive filters...who said, the greatest trick,the devil ever played,was to convince people he didn't exist?...;)

Could anyone tell me,when I visuall inspect a dyson vacuum cleaner, and put a blue label on it,can I then state on the advert that it's been pat tested?

best way to test a dyson is with a sledgehammer.

The guidance notes will suggest a test interval. Ultimately it’s up to the tester to look at the condition of the appliance, the environment it’s in and if available it’s repair history. Then the tester can make a judgement wether to reduce or extend the test intervals.

Are the stickers not green anymore?

What’s with all the Dyson hate? I’m only on my 2nd since 2003 and I only swapped the 1st one as the new one said it was a type of Dyson Ball Cleaner. It wasn’t quite what I was expecting and ended up in A and E.

Last edited:
Depends what you have agreed with your client, an EICR doesn't include testing portable and fixed appliances. Appliance testing come under the code of practice for ISITEE.
At an extra cost of course

... I only swapped the 1st one as the new one said it was a type of Dyson Ball Cleaner. It wasn’t quite what I was expecting and ended up in A and E.
I've had a tough day and my effen knees are meowing. But after reading your very informative post @LeeH I'm giggling like a gender neutral operative. I've just cancelled my order :tearsofjoy:

Could anyone tell me,when I visuall inspect a dyson vacuum cleaner, and put a blue label on it,can I then state on the advert that it's been pat tested?
If you have done a visual inspection, recorded the details of the appliance and testing on the inspection and testing register (noting that the insulation resistance test was not completed) , updated the equipment register, noted any repairs on the repair register, applied a label indicating it is safe to use that is referenced to the appropriate register reference number and all are signed by you as a competent person to do the inspection and testing then yes you can say it has been PAT tested (with some omissions).

totally agree.pile of shyte.(spoken by a Kirby Sentria and a Henry owner).
Ah... good old Henry, just a basic cleaner that does the job well!

"I had a hoover once which I decided to sell, well it was just hanging around collecting dust" Tim Vine.

Reply to Dyson vacuum cleaners in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock