Discuss earh loop in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

thunder

i had a utitlity engineer checking my appliances, during the visit he did an earth loop test (tester) using the sockets, he advised me that the rea ding was too high should be 1ohms, but mine was much higher and advised me to check itout with an electrician and to hava RCD install for the r circuits i need to know the following

what should the earth loop reading be on a domestic uk household

if higher than 1 ohms what is the cause of the problem

can this be dangerous

i have earth coming oit om c unut and all pie works etc are earth bonded

many thaks

i had a utitlity engineer checking my appliances, during the visit he did an earth loop test (tester) using the sockets, he advised me that the rea ding was too high should be 1ohms, but mine was much higher and advised me to check itout with an electrician and to hava RCD install for the r circuits i need to know the following

what should the earth loop reading be on a domestic uk household

if higher than 1 ohms what is the cause of the problem

can this be dangerous

i have earth coming oit om c unut and all pie works etc are earth bonded

many thaks

What is your earthing system ?
What was the reading result he took?

Do you have a earth rod outside if so you are on a TT system which would explain the high efli.
If you are on a TT system he's right you need a 30mA rcd for the socket circuits & 100mA td (s type) rcd for all other circuits (this can be as the main switch or upstream of the consumer unit on the tails)

Max efli allowed will differ depending on the type on overcurrent protective device in use, for an mcb its 1.2 (corrected).

You are best to get a sparks in because without the test equipment theres sod all you'll be able to do.

Re: earth loop

thanks for the reply and your input

i do not think i have a earth rod

all earth links coming via consumer unit,

i may be incorrect, how can i tell

earth reading 105.4 ohms

thanks for the reply and your input

i do not think i have a earth rod

all earth links coming via consumer unit,

i may be incorrect, how can i tell

earth reading 105.4 ohms

From the consumer unit does the main earth cable go outside to a rod thats buried (TT system)
or down to where the electricity suppliers fuse is (TNC-s system)
or all the way down to the lead sheath of the incomming electricity supply cables (TNS system).

With a loop reading of 105.4ohms it's looking like you have a TT earthing system.

Best advice would be to get a sparks in to take a look or undertake a periodic inspection (normaly start at £150).

i dont think it is a TT earthing system , as i dont have an outside rod, maybe it is a tnc system, as cables are running from norwebs fuse - by having a higher ohms reading

is it dangerous, what are the consequenses, i have live in this property for nearly 10 years and had no problem as yet, as i have advised only found this out during a routine check

many many thanks, your advise is greatly valued.

thank you

problem sloved, called out a spark, happened to know him, the problem was the earth connection from the suppliers fuse unit to the earth supply going into cons unit, rewired the earth connection - tested reading on diff circuits - now showing 0.46 ohms

Reply to earh loop in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net