Discuss Earthing SWA in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have had many ideas on this subject,could someone please tell me the correct way.
I am running about a metre of 3 core 2.5mm cable between a CU and an Isolator. Both boxes are metal.
One of the cores will be used as the Earth.
Do I need to run a seperate cpc,if so how do I connect it and where?
If someone could explain this SIMPLY for me it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

The glands that you will need to use to terminate the SWA at both ends will contain an item called a banjo. The reason its called that is because it looks like one.

Now, when you have drilled the hole for the gland into the CU, fit the gland into the enclosure and before you fit it with the supplied nut, slide the banjo on first, then the nut.

After its tight drill through the enclosure with a 6mm bit, in line the small hole on banjo and take a fly lead from the earth bar to this, with an eyelet yellow crimp and bolt up with a roofing bolt.

Sorted.

Its best practice to earth the SWA at supply end, ie cu.

Hope that helps and is reasonably clear!

Hi
Don't forget that you should only use one of the cores as an earth OR the armouring, never both.
Due to the two earth paths, which could be of different resistances, there is a phenomenon where you could get circulating fault currents under fault conditions. What is recommended is to earth one end of the armouring only and insulate the other end, or just use a TRS gland on the inner part of the cable only.
Saying that...
I've never come across any evidence of these circulating fault currents myself and wonder if it a theorum rather than something seen in real life?

well ive never heard of this before, im sure many will agree.

if you use a three core swa with one core earth, how do you earth the armourings then??????

The armour must be earthed.

No different from using earthed metallic conduit with twin and earth buried in a wall.

Please don't use a roofing bolt use a setscrew/washers/nut, bond both ends via earth tags(bango) the cable manufacturers calculations are made assuming that both ends are bonded to earth ,running a supplimentary cpc with a swa is acceptable, if its all bonded to earth you won't get any circulating fault currents flowing .When you use single core swa you also bond both ends to earth in fact only a QUALIFIED ELECTRICAL ENGINEER can ask for the cables to be insulated from earth at one end
yuors benji

because they look crap, for earthing they are crap, iv'e had insurance companies condemn them, and if there is any dampness around you tend to get a reaction between the brass and the galv.
yours benji

because they look crap, for earthing they are crap, iv'e had insurance companies condemn them, and if there is any dampness around you tend to get a reaction between the brass and the galv.
yours benji

That's a bugger, just got the parts fairies to order us bags of roofing bolts at work precisely for armoured cable... I blame the Spark in Chief, he's teaching me bad ways.

Reply to Earthing SWA in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock