Discuss EDF meter connection conundrum in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Whilst I have had no contact with EDF I can go back to the time when "The Board" had to come in to disconnect and reconnect tails on a rewire. You had to produce a test cert before they would reconnect. Obviously the only testing that could be done was the "dead testing" however these results were checked before they reconnected and once they had reconnected you could complete the "live tests". Sometimes they would random test a dead result and sometimes they would witness your live testing. I can only assume that similar applies here.

Meter guy demanded a BS7671 certificate before connection, check out this EDF document in the freq asked questions section

http://www.edfenergy.com/products-services/networks/pdf/BS7671_Test_Certificate.pdf

How can you provide a certificate before the installation is energised to complete tests?

Well it reads like a mish mash of what someone told the copy writer over the phone whilst he scribbled it down.
Apart from their casual references to "approved electricians" (a term I thought only had meaning within the context of the JIB grading system so are they insisting that a graded electrician is now incompetent??) how can you issue an EIC which has to be accompanied by a schedule of test results and inspections. Is a partial schedule of tests acceptable or does it render the EIC invalid? Nowhere on any of those forms is there a designated place in which to record and limitations to the scope of the test or inspection unless it's in the "remarks" panel, niether does such facility exist on the E.I.C. unless the option exists of entering it into the box marked...
Details of departures from BS 7671 (regulations 120.3 and 120.4

120.3 requirement includes "Part 6 Inspection and Testing" so I presume that this would be where to record the fact that only the dead tests had been done as departures from Pt 6 and preparatory to the connection of supply. EDF surely can't be expecting to see a full set. That might be your work around. Issue the EIC with attached schedule of dead tests fully remarking the limitations as departures. At this stage you retain it as you can't hand it to the client. (well I suppose you could but it would be legally worthless) Then when the supply's in an on you can complete an additional sheet completing the live test boxes you've struck through or marked "n/a" on the first test sched. Only at that point do you hand it to the client.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may well be right there Tony, he told me that they will in future visually inspect installation. If not complete ie. loose sockets etc. they will refuse to connect.

This has already led to some altercations with contractors apparently.

Another interesting snipet was that from now on if EDF find any seals removed they will charge the contractor £80 who last worked on the installation or if that isn't possible then the customer.

....................................................................................

Carter he did actually accept from me a NAPIT certificate from which he only recored the reference number ( He had never heard of NAPIT ) at first he wanted a NICEIC one only!

He phoned head office to check if NAPIT one was acceptable.

the number of EDF controlled installations that I have seen; 100 amp breakers on 10 mm tails. Shouldn't we be charging them for conforming with EAWR and HASAW ? Or is this a sneaky ploy to avenge Agincourt!

Carter he did actually accept from me a NAPIT certificate from which he only recored the reference number ( He had never heard of NAPIT ) at first he wanted a NICEIC one only!

He phoned head office to check if NAPIT one was acceptable.

Jeez! You've got to despair of the slackwitted buttmonkeys who dream these schemes. It's a right arsing mess isn't it. Talk about left and right hands not knowing what the other ones doing. It's an object lesson in never giving a pen pusher even the slightest opportunity for their closeted stupidity to f*ck up someone's life. But no, what do we do? we elevate them, then we give them the opportunity and (unbelievably) the authority to put the ****ing boot in. Then we reward them with a honking salary and pension. Even your man (supposedly 'at the coal face') didn't realise that insisting on an NIC only cert would constitute a promotion of, or complicity in, a cartel and therefore illegality. I've got a bit of a short fuse for that sort of officious ignorance (as I think you've probably gathered) so the sum of all my thoughts to him would have been "Oh just p*ss off mate and read a book then come back when you know what you're talking about!"

I'm just off outside now to beat my head off the pebbledashing as it's a lot less aggravating than hearing about yet another failed example of "joined up governance".

Clench and.....ow!....ow!....ow!....f*cking OW!....ow!.....continue to unconciousness.

Or is this a sneaky ploy to avenge Agincourt!

:D
The Life of King Camelspit the Fifth

SCENE III. The English camp before the field of Agincourt
enter stage right:
MONTJOY - The Meter Man and Herald of the French Constable

Once more I come to know of thee, good Sparke,
If for thy ransom thou wilt now compound,
Before thy most assured overthrow:
In mercy,
The constable desires thee thou wilt mind
Thy followers of our FAQs leaflet; that their souls
May make a peaceful and a sweet retire
From off this job, where, poor wretches, their bodies
Must lie and fester.

KING CAMELSPIT V

Fer feck's sake! Who hath sent thee now?

MONTJOY

The Constable of France, in that van yonder.

KING CAMELFLOB V

I pray thee, bear my former answer back "p*ss off":
Bid them achieve me and then sell my tools.
Good God! why should they mock poor sparkys thus?
The man that once did write the form out
While the beast was de-energized, was killed with the testing of it.
A many of our bodies shall no doubt
Find sweeter jobs; upon the which, I trust,
Shall witness live in brass of this day's graft:
And those that leave their valiant bones in service cupboards,
Dying like men, though buried in your paperwork,
They shall be famed; for there the sun shall greet them,
And draw their honours up to heaven + overtime + mileage;
Leaving their earthly parts to choke your clime,
The smell whereof shall breed a plague in France.
Mark then the abounding valour in our English trades,
That being dead, like to the bullet's grazing,
Break out into a second course of mischief,
Killing in relapse of Part P certification.

Let me speak proudly: tell the f*cking c*ntstable
We are but warriors for the working-day;
And we hath better things to do than dick about with thee and thy bollox
Our gayness and our overalls are all besmirch'd
With rainy marching to the painful sites;-
And time hath worn us into slovenry:
But, by the mass, our hearts are in the trim;
And my poor sparks tell me, yet 'ere night
They'll be pulling off the job or they will pluck
The gay new coats o'er the French desk-jockey's' heads
And turn them out of service. If they do this,--
As, if God please, they shall,--my ransom then
Will soon be levied and you can go whistle for't
Herald, save thou thy labour;
Come thou no more for ransom, gentle meter dude:
They shall have none, I swear, but these my joints;
Which if they have as I will leave 'em them,
Shall blow them across the hallway, so tell your garlic munching constable.

MONTJOY

I shall, King Camelspit. And so fare thee well:
Thou never shalt hear herald any more.

KING CAMELSPIT v

Too right pal, now do one! lest thou desirest to feel the toe-capped wrath of my regal rigger boot!

exeunt Montoy, in a right Gallic strop.

Wih apologies to Will Shakespeare,
SCENE III. The English camp.

AND THE LORD SAID "LET THERE BE LIGHT"

AND FRANKLIN SAID "HERE IS ELECTRICITY"

AND HUMPHRY DAVY SAID "HERE IS THE LAMP"

Then EDF said "we cant connect you until you provide a EIC".

:D:D:D

I know that this happens a lot in the London area with edf, but I have never myself experienced it in the south west, so far they have all been reasonable chaps doing the meters and fuses. My luck wont last long though I assure you :p

Reply to EDF meter connection conundrum in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock