Discuss Eicr help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Skys

-
Reaction score
After some advice please. Been to carry out eicr today, property is only one year old. No problems on any out going circuits from consumer unit. But tails run well over 6 meters and are buried less than 50mm with no additional or mechanical protection. This been designed to 17th edition I gave a c2, company I’m working for have rang nic. Who are saying it only warrants a c3 has it’s not potentially dangerous. How can something that should have failed initial verification but got passed suddenly be satisfactory? Surly original installation cert would be fraudulent really?

After some advice please. Been to carry out eicr today, property is only one year old. No problems on any out going circuits from consumer unit. But tails run well over 6 meters and are buried less than 50mm with no additional or mechanical protection. This been designed to 17th edition I gave a c2, company I’m working for have rang nic. Who are saying it only warrants a c3 has it’s not potentially dangerous. How can something that should have failed initial verification but got passed suddenly be satisfactory? Surly original installation cert would be fraudulent really?
How can you be sure that the tails have no mechanical protection?

It’s for a housing association change of occupation.
[automerge]1574887169[/automerge]
Can see tails leaving meter cupboard Into cavity with no protection then entering consumer unit clipped directly to block wall coming out of plaster again no protection

It’s for a housing association change of occupation.
[automerge]1574887169[/automerge]
Can see tails leaving meter cupboard Into cavity with no protection then entering consumer unit clipped directly to block wall coming out of plaster again no protection
Then yes they would require coding and perhaps the client would like to know why an installation only a year old was installed non compliantly.
The code is down to your risk assessment of the tails and not from anyone else, if you wish to C2 it then you need to justify why it’s potentially dangerous if that code is challenged by others.

Ye that’s why I’m in 2 minds, can’t justify why it should be a c2 but at same time I’m thinking so a diy jobs done tomorrow plastic consumer unit no rcd protection and so on. DIY person rings building control. Will an eicr do? So you carry it out apply c3’s and there you go satisfactory report all though not done to current regulations. Just doesn’t sit right

Ye that’s why I’m in 2 minds, can’t justify why it should be a c2 but at same time I’m thinking so a diy jobs done tomorrow plastic consumer unit no rcd protection and so on. DIY person rings building control. Will an eicr do? So you carry it out apply c3’s and there you go satisfactory report all though not done to current regulations. Just doesn’t sit right
you are the test person you name on that test sheet .

Ye that’s what doesn’t sit right with me, if it’s not installed to the current regulations such has this instance then surly It can’t be right, Going to stick with my c2 or need something in writing to say why my option is invalid

This been designed to 17th edition I gave a c2
The problem is you cannot credibly claim that it is more dangerous because it was done more recently than exactly the same issue done in the distant past.

It's either dangerous or it's not - when it was installed or which Edition of the Regulations was in force at the time is wholly irrelevant to that.

Agree again it’s no more dangerous than cables buried less than 50mm pre 17th, but somebody has and a regulation was brought in to stop this, so surly if it’s not been followed it should be coded or why change the regulations? But do agree it’s no more dangerous

Agree again it’s no more dangerous than cables buried less than 50mm pre 17th, but somebody has and a regulation was brought in to stop this, so surly if it’s not been followed it should be coded or why change the regulations? But do agree it’s no more dangerous
I never suggested that it shouldn't be coded.

My point was that I would expect you to code it the same way regardless of which Edition it was installed to. Whether it was compliant at the time of installation or not hasn't any relevance to the perception of risk of the issue nowadays. Hopefully that clears it up.

Yes it does, just can’t believe new build house can be built not to current standards then 6 months down the line can get a satisfactory eicr done

Yes it does, just can’t believe new build house can be built not to current standards then 6 months down the line can get a satisfactory eicr done
What you need to remember is that a periodic inspection serves a completely different purpose to initial verification.

Certification produced following initial verification is intended to testify that the work complies with the Standard (BS7671).

Reporting following periodic inspection and testing, however, is merely about assessing the safety and suitability of the installation to remain in service subject to the extent and limitations contained therein. It cannot replace certification, nor is it intended to.

yes It shouldn’t but how often does it. Like I said earlier when home owner asks building control if an eicr will do because rogue electrician carried work out isn’t seen again. We put c3’s down but all other people see is satisfactory. But agree with all comments I am there just to carry out eicr and report findings at that time.

Reply to Eicr help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock