Discuss Electricity/Water and Broadband cable to shed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

I have got amour covered electricity and Broadband cable ready to be buried in the garden to run supply to my shed.

And I am going to run water up there as well.

My plumber said I need 25mm water MDPE pipe. So I thought it would be good to get threes times the amount and use as conduit for my electricity and broadband cables.

Is this ok? or should I use some special broadband/electrical conduit?

I personally wouldn't run mains cables in water pipe - it's not a good idea, even if you put warning tape above it.

You will probably find that SWA will be a better proposition anyway.

Out of interest is it being fed from an RCD protected source?

Whats the issue with MDPE? Is it just the issue of someone in the future thinking it is water?

If that is the case what colour pipe would you recommend?

Can you guarantee SWA will not interfere with the broadband cable? That the only reason I though about using conduit for electricity and broadband.

I haven't a clue about the technical elements I leave that to a sparks.

I just need to sort out the grunt work.

If swa were to interfere with broadband , then putting it in a plastic pipe will not improve things

So is there a pipe/conduit that would stop any potential interference?

What I don't want to do is get into the office and find the internet speed is slow because of inerference.

What I was thinking of doing was burying the water supply deeper, then on top the electricity then the broadband...

So soil and conduit and armour coating give broadband as much protection as possible.

Hum ................... you are asking us for free advice on something that you want to do and can quite easily get wrong, and ask us to guarantee it will work?

You're on your own matey

And this work falls under Part P of the building regs too.

I haven't a clue in regards to either.

a) 50m Cat5e Steel Wire Armoured UTP Solid Cable Direct Burial HDPE External SWA
b) Armour covered Electricity. Not sure what as this was put in place ready to be connected 5 years ago, and we have only just got started on the shed, so the last 5 years I have had 40 metres rolled up outside the back door and the other end through a hole in the wall and under the floorboards ready to connect to consumer unit or where ever it is to be connected.

Great that it doesn't have to go in duct.

So I can bury it 'side by side' in the trench with armour covered broadband cable and one will not affect the other?

Hum ................... you are asking us for free advice on something that you want to do and can quite easily get wrong, and ask us to guarantee it will work?

You're on your own matey

And this work falls under Part P of the building regs too.

please re-read what I wrote.

I wasn't asking anyone to guarantee any form of work.

What I was asking you to do is back up the statement

"If swa were to interfere with broadband , then putting it in a plastic pipe will not improve things"

Is that correct? 100% correct, as over the years I have had many situations where 'nothing can interfere' and low and behold a month down the line and one thing is stopping something else from working correctly.

Hence why I am just wanted to get clarity on whether any form of a conduit is a good idea.

So I can bury it 'side by side' in the trench with armour covered broadband cable and one will not affect the other?

Yes, it will be fine. I thought you were trying to export the 'broadband signal' via some cheap/unsuitable cable, which would be a rubbish idea.

Running a proper network cable instead will cause no problems.

Last edited:
That's better now you have given us more info - it was a bit sparse to start with. As rsgaz says, these are suitable cables and there will be no noticable inter-effects between the two.

I would get a proper electrician to connect the SWA up though. The last thing you want is it not being effectively earthed - this may indeed cause you problems (electrical safety wise and data wise). Also, the circuit will then be suitably tested to ensure it is safe. If you do it yourself you won't be able to do the necessary testing to make sure the MCB will trip in the required time.

As mentioned above (Murdoch I think?) - this will also need a certificate and notification.

YOUR WORDS.

What I meant was can you give an assurance, is it likely... What likelihood is there that there would or wouldn't be any interference...

That's what I love about this style of forum there is alway someone presuming everybody is as experienced and knowledgeable as they are...

I hope your day was as good as you are.

YOUR WORDS.

What I meant was can you give an assurance, is it likely... What likelihood is there? that there would? or wouldn't be any interference.? That's all...

That's what I love about this style of forum there is alway someone presuming everybody is as experienced and knowledgeable as they are...

I hope your day is as good as you are :)

That's better now you have given us more info - it was a bit sparse to start with. As rsgaz says, these are suitable cables and there will be no noticable inter-effects between the two.

I would get a proper electrician to connect the SWA up though. The last thing you want is it not being effectively earthed - this may indeed cause you problems (electrical safety wise and data wise). Also, the circuit will then be suitably tested to ensure it is safe. If you do it yourself you won't be able to do the necessary testing to make sure the MCB will trip in the required time.

As mentioned above (Murdoch I think?) - this will also need a certificate and notification.

Many thanks for that, of course electrician will be used, I have no intention of connecting up the water myself or even the Broadband come to think about it, so I wouldn't be going anywhere near the electricity...

My job is purely digging and burial.

Thanks for letting me know though, I will not bother with the conduit and just run the water in a separate(ish) channel.

Reply to Electricity/Water and Broadband cable to shed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock