Discuss Exparience flat rewire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Peter Woodford

A friend has just got a flat and asked if I can do a rewire. The thing is it's on the 12th floor and all walls are concrete and the only way I can see doing it is all in mini truncking any throughts

Trunking is one answer if you have a wall chaser that would do the job and allow you to bury the cables not a cheap tool to buy but makes life easier.

Chris

If most of the accessories are going in the same locations, it is possible to use the existing buried conduits, providing they are adequately earthed.

Other than that, its out with the chaser or of course, surface.

You will probably find the ceilings are concrete also.

Looks like it's got to be PVC trunking mate,just like council installs.Can you not shove a draw wire up the pipes buried in the walls and pull singles in?

Looks like it's got to be PVC trunking mate,just like council installs.Can you not shove a draw wire up the pipes buried in the walls and pull singles in?
Hi mac, can you use singles in houses? not been in it long to know??
Thanks Justin:confused:

how old is the property? sounds like you need to get a few fitings of and have a rummage around. If it is an older property there will be existing conduits in he walls that should be accessible. how deep is the plaster?

I have just done a rewire in a flat i had to chase all the wall out and run all cables with in 6" of the ceiling. but luckily the plaster was soft. i could not go surface but it would have been easier. I put all circuits on rcbos.

Hi mac, can you use singles in houses? not been in it long to know??
Thanks Justin:confused:

if its concrete and conduit and boxes, its more than definate that it is already wired in singles.
there is no problem using singles again, as long as the conduit is in good condition.
be aware the box lid screws are probably 2BA size not this new fangled metric 4mm stuff
and the conduit will probably be imperial 3/4" (slightly smaller than 20mm). so keep the screws and bushes etc. cos you may find it hard to get replacements

Exparience flat rewire 053 - EletriciansForums.net

Place is about 30 years old and someone before has taken out lights and conduit in walls all sockets throughout flat is in mini trunking.Also main fuse is not in flat take it it will be in the main switch room

We have done a few flats like this and the builder has loweredd the ceiling with timber battens and then plasterboard, makes it better for the sparky and the plumber

We have done a few flats like this and the builder has loweredd the ceiling with timber battens and then plasterboard, makes it better for the sparky and the plumber

& downlighters:D.

mini trunking in homes repulses me!!there's no satisfaction with it unless you get plenty of green,but it still feels like you've run a hedgehog over.

Reply to Exparience flat rewire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock