Discuss Extend RFC to a detached building/garage/shed? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

This is where I wasn't sure so suggested a 5 core, hoping someone would correct me if I was wrong.
The problem with not having the CPC in a ring as well is for testing: you won't easily detect an open on the CPC and so a reduction in its fault capacity & reliability.

But you could run an external CPC with 4-core SWA and have the CPC loop through the armour and back via the separate CPC (or 5th core).
[automerge]1590442220[/automerge]
This says its a 4 pole changeover isolator but the data sheet doesn't???? Or I'm tired and missing something.
Centre-off! You don't want the ring left open.

Aha. Here's the relevant reg:

543.2.9 Except where the circuit protective conductor is formed by a metal covering or enclosure containing all of the conductors of the ring, the circuit protective conductor of every ring final circuit shall also be run in the form of a ring having both ends connected to the earthing terminal at the origin of the circuit.

Centre-off! You don't want the ring left open.

Ta mate.. Thought it was 2 position.

Aha. Here's the relevant reg:

543.2.9 Except where the circuit protective conductor is formed by a metal covering or enclosure containing all of the conductors of the ring, the circuit protective conductor of every ring final circuit shall also be run in the form of a ring having both ends connected to the earthing terminal at the origin of the circuit.
so the armour of SWA is "a metal covering containing all of the conductors of a ring"?????

so the armour of SWA is "a metal covering containing all of the conductors of a ring"?????
I would say so. And as I guess you need accessible junction box then you would have a means of checking the 2nd ring's CPC continuity.

But more importantly, what do we call this arrangement?

An hourglass circuit? It is a curious way of passing the time discussing it...

I'm not sure it would be. The reg does seem to back up Pete's post.

Would it be a reasonable departure from the regs to extend the ring to the outbuilding using 4C SWA, using armour as CPC? Again, assuming adiabatic, max zs, etc met. It would add an extra layer or 2 to the testing, but I don't think it would be less safe.

That is a good point as you don't want the ring opened to isolate! Problem is many are centre-off which is not what you really want.

This might be usable (4P with NO/NC contacts), but you would need a separate box and knob to complete it. at 25A it ought to match the 2.5mm cable's rating:
Very good point. You don’t want an isolator that in effect breaks the first part of the ring into two legs and cuts off the latter part.

It would add an extra layer or 2 to the testing, but I don't think it would be less safe.

I think those aspects are connected. Once you have installed a non-standard configuration, other people might have to test, modify and repair it. If they don't understand it or make incorrect assumptions about it, they might not test it correctly (or at all, if they keep getting nonsense readings) hence it might become less safe.

Personally I would be disappointed to find a ring extended to an outbuilding simply for economy, however if the lengths and loading are sensible, I would accept it. There is a risk that if the garage run adds much length at one end of the ring, and is perhaps only occasionally used, most of the house loading would end up on one leg. But I also accept that it is very rare for a correctly-installed ring cable to be overloaded under normal operating conditions.

The 5-core idea is a bodge. There's no reason to do anything that weird with the CPCs when you could just use 7-core SWA and give both legs three cores. I would be tempted to connect the armour to the spare core at both ends but both to one CPC at one end only, so that the readings come out correct for equal-size conductors.

To be able to isolate the shed, instead of spurring from a 13A fuse, could you spur from a garage board or enclosure, in the house, with maybe a 32A breaker? And going out in 4mm? The supply side coming from the rfc

Wouldnt look terribly great in the house though.

I think those aspects are connected. Once you have installed a non-standard configuration, other people might have to test, modify and repair it. If they don't understand it or make incorrect assumptions about it, they might not test it correctly (or at all, if they keep getting nonsense readings) hence it might become less safe.
I hear what you're saying Lucien, though I believe the skills needed to recognise a circuit installed in this manner are quite basic. They would be the same skills needed to recognise and locate parallel paths across the cpc of a ring final. With it being documented as a departure, I would question the competence of anyone unable to understand it.

Reply to Extend RFC to a detached building/garage/shed? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock