Discuss extension in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bahco

hi guys

need a bit of help on the following things please

a new extension on the side of my house, the upstairs consist of bathroom onsuite and 1 bedroom.... all the pipework in the 2 bathrooms are plastic, is it best to put all 3 rooms on one lighting circuit protected by a 6a rcbo or 2 bathrroms on a rcbo and the bedroom on a mcb?

next thing shaver socket in the onsuite, ive had a look in the regs but im a bit confused, i would like to fit it above the sink, which is about a metre and a half away from the shower, ive heard something about 300mm away from the sink is that right? if so is that in any direction?

last but not least, bathroom fan, been looking at a manrose inline fan which sits up in the loft, need to know how noisy they are compared to a fan in the wall, and if mounted in the loft do they vibrate a lot?

thanks in advance guys matt

all three on one and rcbo protection as per 17th edition (IMO)
shaver socket is ok in zone 1 (701.512.3)
i used an inline fan in my loft space and suspended it from the rafters on a string of wire ,quiet as the mice up there!!
also used multi gang plug in box rather than jbs etc for all the down lights
also used compact flouri's to save on the energy costs and heat problem
hope this helps

cheers for the reply wayne

i thought all 3 rooms would be ok on the one rcbo just wanted to make sure, as for the fan have you got a cowl in the ceiling or have you got one of those cowls with a lamp in the middle over the shower? sounds like your running gu10's.

reason i ask is the misses wants the cowl in the middle of the ceiling, just wondered how powerfull they are, if they need to be in a certain position.

cheers matt

matt,
one cowl middle of the ceiling above the double shower , 4" inline fan i feel it could be doing with being more powerful as its slow to clear ,two lv dichroics one either side ip rated with tilt
in the general area ive four compact flouris that are the size and shape of a gu 10, aurora range
switches are outside of room

cant speak for the light built into the fan cowl other than the ones ive dealt with have been painful ,get the missus to change her mind:p

the centre of the room it is then, il forget the idear of the light above the shower :)

as for these cfl's its funny because ive heard of them but never fit any, anyway today went to a job and fitted 4 of them.

i really like the light they produce, these where kind of a blue/white light are yours the same?

how do they look when there on with normal 12v lamps?

matt

matt,
one cowl middle of the ceiling above the double shower , 4" inline fan i feel it could be doing with being more powerful as its slow to clear ,two lv dichroics one either side ip rated with tilt
in the general area ive four compact flouris that are the size and shape of a gu 10, aurora range
switches are outside of room

cant speak for the light built into the fan cowl other than the ones ive dealt with have been painful ,get the missus to change her mind:p

Hi Wayne...if they are tilt ....then not IP rated ? Yes ?

T.E.C,
the glass is flush to the ceiling with a sealing ring ,the tilt /pivot is behind ,glass is oval shape to compensate .
if i can find the aurora catalogue ill get you the part number
matt,
mine are "soft white "(cant remember the colour code!!)they take a few seconds to get upto full brightness but are comparable inlight output to normal gu 10's

matt,
ive read something wrong within the regs regarding shaver sockets ;
701.512.3only allows switches of selv circuits to be installed in zone one shaver supply units have to go in zone two 701.32.4 gives a description of zone two
if you now have to remove walls ,sorry but i accecpt no liability on my advice:D:D:D

hi wayne

sorry it took me so long to reply been busy.

ive relocated the shaver socket now so everything is ok, thanks for your help mate

actually there is another thing i wanted to check with you, ive wired the 3 rooms using the loop in and out of the box method, then ive took a 3c+e from the switch to a tp isolator then to the fan.

if i was to replace the normal 1g switch with a dimmer would it still work ok?

ive heard somewere that it wont but cant remember where ive seen it.

thanks matt

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to extension in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock