Discuss Extra training in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Sparky_Ben

As some of you on here know I have just started my 2330 and I was just wondering what you think would be the next step to become qualified. Would I still be best off looking for an apprenticeship or just a placement in order to complete and NVQ level 3? and also because I have started my 2330 would this make me more employable for when the apprenticeships or placements become available this year?

any information would be appreciated in advance

And also would training in the way I am then just complete an NVQ level 3 make me less desirable to employ than an apprentice or would I have all the same chances if I have the qualifications? would they take an apprenticeship trained spark over me?

any help please so I know where to focus my attention regarding employment.

does anyone have any information on this please?

Ben the way I see it you are already training so if you want to complete an NVQ you would need to find an electrical company that will allow you to complete the course through them?

Sorry I can't help any further, never have and never will do an NVQ personally but I am probably twice your age!

Mate,

If you can get one an apprenticeship is the way to go I think.

It should save you a shed load of cash to start with as you should be placed with a training agent and it's all government funded, well it was when I did it. Also you follow a structured training path which puts you through various parts i.e - regs, nvq 2+3, am2, key skills etc.

Trouble is apprenticeships are hard to come by right now, as employers dont want the hassle or havn't got the work for a newbie.

Times is hard you gots to take what you can get.

Hi Sparky Ben, i am in a similar position having just started the C&G 2330 (although have had a different career for the last 30+ years) are you doing the level 2 ?(3 days a week at college and 4 multiple choice exams throughout the year). If so there is level 3 next year and afterwards you can do an NVQ. I suspect if you are young the best way is to get an apprenticeship as this will save you money for course fees/exams depending on your circumstances (although you may be exempt) and give you some sort of wage. One lad who started the course i am on left after a couple of weeks because he got an offer of an apprenticeship.
I must admit the qualifications to become an electrician are rather confusing and it has taken me quite a while to get my head around it. Because i want to be self employed doing domestic work i am going to do the level 3 next year and also do the 17th wiring regs in the evening and then towards the end of that year i will apply to someone like NEICIC to get approval as a competent person so i can sign my own work off.

pushrod thanks for the reply yes I am on level 2 . I am doing one day a week on my tech cert half day theory and half a day in the workshop, then for another 2 days I am completing a national award in construction as part of the course I enrolled on however if I was offered an apprenticeship I would have to drop this part.

pushrod thanks for the reply yes I am on level 2 . I am doing one day a week on my tech cert half day theory and half a day in the workshop, then for another 2 days I am completing a national award in construction as part of the course I enrolled on however if I was offered an apprenticeship I would have to drop this part.

do you complete your level 2 in one year? Mine is one year but there is a full day in the workshop and one a half days of theory plus a one hour related basic skills. It sounds as if you are cramming more into your time than we do.

I am not entirely sure I was under the impression that level 2 take two years and the level three would be available in the third but I will have to find this out.

At my college level 2 takes two years if you do it on 2 or 3 evenings/week, but one year if you do it full time. It could be that you are going to take two years since you are doing other things as well ?

Wel I am ther six hours for my 2330 at week 9-3 so I would imagine thats right then must take the two years. How long do you spend at college each week?

I am exempt from the theory lessons (although i go to some of them) because of previous qualifications but the rest of them on the course do about 14 hours a week including workshop. Have you taken any exams so far?

Reply to Extra training in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock