Discuss Feedback??? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have just had a system installed with an inverter and battey. My outside lights, on three different circuits are LED arrays...at night they are dimly lit and not all the array is illuminated, when NOT turnered on, so OFF. My installing company has told me I could have a problem with the mains wiring. My house was scompletely rewired 5 years ago with a building regs cert. Also this never happened before the Solar system was installed. They told me it is FEEDBACK????? ANYONE...

As far as I'm concerned, if an electrician told me a fault was caused by 'feedback' and there 'could' be a mains wiring problem and he/she didn't come up with any actual test results I'd start looking for another electrician.

These types of faults could be caused by numerous things. I'd start by getting a good electrician in for an hour to do a thorough test of the lighting circuit and check over the LED lighting installation, it will be money well spent.

As far as I'm concerned, if an electrician told me a fault was caused by 'feedback' and there 'could' be a mains wiring problem and he/she didn't come up with any actual test results I'd start looking for another electrician.

These types of faults could be caused by numerous things. I'd start by getting a good electrician in for an hour to do a thorough test of the lighting circuit and check over the LED lighting installation, it will be money well spent.
Update. Had Octopus here today to install a new meter outside. First thing the guy did was plug a testing plug into a socket, then another, than another ....
Then he tells me I have a "live neutral reverse" fault. He could not believe that the Solar Panel installers had not checked me installation before leaving.
Before anyone starts, the house was rewired in 2017 and I have the Building reg certificate and the Electrical Installation Certificate.
Photos attached show the light problem, which I first mentioned....

They are coming tomorrow and I have taken loads of photos of the Installation so they are not going to fob me off.

Exaclty how bad is a "live neutral reverse" fault?

Attachments

• Inside Utiility OFF.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Inside Utility ON.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Outside Light OFF.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Outside Light ON.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 9
I would like to see a qualified person with a low impedance volt meter confirm that there really is a L to N reversal, the plug in testers are not always correct and it could just as easily be a missing earth.

I would like to see a qualified person with a low impedance volt meter confirm that there really is a L to N reversal, the plug in testers are not always correct and it could just as easily be a missing earth.
Well, we shall see what tomorrow brings...

I'd be cautious of a meter engineer telling me i had a fault.

But if it does come to light that there is a L-N reverse, then even after 4 years, you should have some comeback from the electricians that rewired the place.... if it can be proven they caused the problem... or at least didn't notice it at the time.

I'd be cautious of a meter engineer telling me i had a fault.

But if it does come to light that there is a L-N reverse, then even after 4 years, you should have some comeback from the electricians that rewired the place.... if it can be proven they caused the problem... or at least didn't notice it at the time.
This has ONLY happened since the solar system was installed.

Same thing. If it turns out to be that they have left it reverse polarity, then that is pure negligence.

Notice the wires at the bottom. LIVE to neutral and neutral to LIVE. The Installation team, turned up mob handed, swapped the wires back and NO MORE PROBLEMS....The original Installer should be sacked for making such a basic school boy mistake.....I am suprised no fuses blow in the house or that nothing more serious happened in the two months since original Install.Outside Boxes 1.jpg

Since I showed you guys the facts that the whole house had a LIVE NEUTRAL REVERSE fault put there by, so called, competent Electrician. Photos prove what I was sayng all along to be true. Can anybody let me know what might be the long term posibilities to any part onf my property, ELECTRICALLY.
Thanks

In reality, your appliances etc will not have been harmed, they will see no difference.
it is a safety issue for people working on the electrics that is the reason why we must check polarity is correct.

Reply to Feedback??? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net