Discuss Ferrule crimping tool- square or hex? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Steve T

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi
I'm looking at getting a set of ferrules with a crimping tool but don't really want to spend the money on a knipex or similar one, so I've seen these two on amazon which I like the look (and price) of:

Now the main difference is one has a hexagonal crimping jaw and the other has a square crimping jaw, so which one is better?
Thanks for any replies

The prices for the square one vary enormously on eBay, I bought one like your second link with ferrules for £7.45 a few weeks ago. But now the same listing is updated to £15. There are others listed currently around £10. (Wire Crimping Pliers Tool Ferrule Crimper 0.25-10mm + 1200pcs Crimp Terminals UK 8852095233588 | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303725809034), They all seem to have a HSC8-6-4A stamped on them. I use it all the time, this was a replacement for an older same model some 6 years old, now jamming occasionally (which cost all of £1.24 new in an eBay auction when nobody else bid!).

I can't tell you how it compared to a hex version as I've never tried one.

Last edited:
mine's a square one £14.99 ebay with a box of asst. ferrules. works fine.

Nominally hex fits circular holes slightly closer to max capacity, and square suits cage-clamp terminals slightly better. But in reality both end up squashed in to the terminal's shape if tight.

The cheap eBay ones are fine, but not as tight as the Knipex, and generally don't quite properly crimp at the smallest size they claim. But for typical power work with at least 0.75mm cable they are OK and unless you use them a lot (as in tens of thousands of crimps) it is hard to fault value for money.

See:

Nominally hex fits circular holes slightly closer to max capacity, and square suits cage-clamp terminals slightly better. But in reality both end up squashed in to the terminal's shape if tight.

The cheap eBay ones are fine, but not as tight as the Knipex, and generally don't quite properly crimp at the smallest size they claim. But for typical power work with at least 0.75mm cable they are OK and unless you use them a lot (as in tens of thousands of crimps) it is hard to fault value for money.

See:
Thanks a lot for putting that together I've had a look through and it's really useful! I can't really see myself needing to crimp 0.25mm2 or probably even 0.5mm2, at least not often enough to warrant buying an expensive tool.

One thing to add is if you are using screw style terminals the crimp only needs to stop the ferrule easily coming off, as it gets further crushed by the termination. But if you use spring-loaded terminals like Wagos or some DIN rails, then you need a good crimp to get a good stable contact between the wire and the ferrule.

One thing to add is if you are using screw style terminals the crimp only needs to stop the ferrule easily coming off, as it gets further crushed by the termination. But if you use spring-loaded terminals like Wagos or some DIN rails, then you need a good crimp to get a good stable contact between the wire and the ferrule.
I didn't know you could use ferrules in Wagos... if I have to use stranded with a wago it's either one of those lighting ones that are designed for fine stranded or if it's bigger stranded like 6mm, it goes into a normal wago by itself.

@Steve T I have both the sets you link to in your first post, the hex is my go too tool, but is limited to 6mm, but does make a very good crimp on stranded wire, especially if using small stranded for fire alarm installations, the square set has a real problem crimping 6mm earth cable into the ferrel, I find I have to put it on the floor and push down on the handle.

@Steve T I have both the sets you link to in your first post, the hex is my go too tool, but is limited to 6mm, but does make a very good crimp on stranded wire, especially if using small stranded for fire alarm installations, the square set has a real problem crimping 6mm earth cable into the ferrel, I find I have to put it on the floor and push down on the handle.
I'm very unlikely to need to crimp anything more than 6mm, if that. I'm only really anticipating having to crimp flex for connections to FCUs etc and maybe even plugs although it seems there are mixed views on whether ferrules should be used in plugs or not! I'll probably go for the hex tool, it also comes with more ferrules which is nice.

Forgot to mention none of them will satisfactorily crimp solid 2.5mm, for that you need a hydraulic crimper.

Flex in plugs as you say are a moot point, but my view is that multi strand in a screw terminal will not fully seat and some strands will ride up the side of the screw and may break off, crimping would stop this from happening.

I didn't know you could use ferrules in Wagos... if I have to use stranded with a wago it's either one of those lighting ones that are designed for fine stranded or if it's bigger stranded like 6mm, it goes into a normal wago by itself.
You don't have to, as the leaver action Wagos accepts fine stranded cable as well.

But sometimes if you are working with a mix of terminals, or just a bit paranoid about the odd strand poking out, then a ferruled end is easy and reliable to use in any type, just like solid core wire.

Reply to Ferrule crimping tool- square or hex? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock