Discuss few questions in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bahco

few questions i need help with please lads

1 if you spur off a ring main with a fuse spur how many sockets can the spur feed?

2 if you fit fire rated downlights to the upstairs of a house how do you go on with the loft insulation regarding heat from the fitting, the tranny needing room etc

3 finally maybe a stupid quesion but i mainly do commercial work where i work, i had to fit some metal back box's today, i used a sds chisel and really struggled to get a socket and a spur next to each other straight any tips?

cheers lads

few questions i need help with please lads

1 if you spur off a ring main with a fuse spur how many sockets can the spur feed?cheers lads

One socket

2 if you fit fire rated downlights to the upstairs of a house how do you go on with the loft insulation regarding heat from the fitting, the tranny needing room etc
Makes sense to clear the insulation from around the fitting regardless

3 finally maybe a stupid quesion but i mainly do commercial work where i work, i had to fit some metal back box's today, i used a sds chisel and really struggled to get a socket and a spur next to each other straight any tips?
I always chase a bigger space than you need but mark a line with a level so both boxes rest on the line - or for an easier fix, use a twin metal box which will accomodate a double socket and a single SFS

thanks for the reply cirrus, with regard to the loft insulation what kind of space around the fitting is normally acceptable? dont want to get rid of to much insulation

and regarding the metal box, i didnt think there was such a metal box that took a 2g skt and a 1g sfs, i know they do a dual accessory box which does 2 1g plates.

thanks again

yeah, I use these boxes every day and they make life so much easier. As for the insulation, there is no hard and fast rule but just a few inches around each fitting should suffice;)

I think he means mark on the wall 2 double metal boxes butted up together. chase out then once you fit you single metal box and double you should have a gap of around 2inches between.

As for the light, I usually pull out what I can get my hands on. So nothing is touching the light or transformer. Don't go to mad :D

you havnt got a link to a website that sells these boxes have you cirrus? cant find any

cheers

i used to work in a electrical wholesalers for 5 years and ive never seen one of those before, great idear think il purchase a few of those

thanks for that

I have only just started using them myself in the last 2 weeks and they are great.

1 if you spur off a ring main with a fuse spur how many sockets can the spur feed?cheers lads

One socket

Technically, as long as the first connection on the spur from the ring is a fused spur then it can feed as many sockets as you like since the fused spur will be fused at no more than 13a which will provide sufficient overload protection to the cable supplying the sockets.

Obviously the sockets should be spurred from the load side of the fused spur NOT the supply side in order to benefit from the protection of the fuse.

If spurring off the ring with a fused spur with the purpose of using the fused spur as a connection for an appliance etc then you cannot spur off the spur (i.e. from the supply side) to supply a socket.

If the purpose of spurring is to create one extra socket outlet then there's no need to use a fused spur.

Phew - not sure if I've rambled too much but hopefully it's understandable enough.

One socket

Makes sense to clear the insulation from around the fitting regardless

I always chase a bigger space than you need but mark a line with a level so both boxes rest on the line - or for an easier fix, use a twin metal box which will accomodate a double socket and a single SFS

ONE SOCKET???

now come on Cirrus, you know better than that:p

unlimited sockets off a fused spur

one off a non fused spur

as many spurs as you have sockets

job done

Was actually a typo as I was trying to do too any things at once. That'll teach me! I meant to say unlimited sockets as long as load side of spur is used. However, also worth noting that you can only spur off once only.

Was actually a typo as I was trying to do too any things at once. That'll teach me! I meant to say unlimited sockets as long as load side of spur is used. However, also worth noting that you can only spur off once only.

i try to avoid doing one thing at once, never mind two;)

So do I usually but had the kids round my ankles trying to have a conversation as I typed and all went wrong. The wife can't understand why I can only do one thing at once.:rolleyes:

few questions {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Reply to few questions in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock