Discuss Fibreglass loft insulation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

From what i understand alot of the thermoplastic floor tiles laid in houses on the ground floor back in the fifties & sixties contained asbestos as well as textured ceilings artex etc. even the humble ironing board cover. As a previous poster has mentioned it was used in so many products, storage heaters also contained some. I would be interested to know if we are all going to have to start carry out an asbestos risk assesment everytime we carry out work in older dwellings to verify it is not present even a ceiling that has been reskimmed could release the fibres when cutting holes for downlights etc.

I have always wondered about fibre glass too guys myself, In my opinion it it dangerous, I have swallowed loads of the stuff and it is usually covered with dust as well, the last 5 years or so I have been very strict by wearing masks and wouldn't go in a loft now without one, but if it is discovered to be bad, then I have had it I bet, doom and gloom and all that, right beer time :biggrin5:

I would be interested to know if we are all going to have to start carry out an asbestos risk assesment everytime we carry out work in older dwellings to verify it is not present even a ceiling that has been reskimmed could release the fibres when cutting holes for downlights etc.

You should already have been doing this and you should have had awareness training, whether you are employed or self employed.

Reply to Fibreglass loft insulation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi Everyone, Sorry for all the questions. With he help of a friend, I recently installed some insulation into my mother's loft. Whilst adding...
Replies
Views
Afternoon all, I have an issue with the loft socket. When we moved the previous owners had a 2.5mm cable going up from the CU Via FCU however...
Replies
Views
Slightly strange one this, replaced a few socket fronts in a dining room today, all wiring original but new plasterboard on a studded wall. Its a...
Replies
Views
Bit of a rant first to explain the situation:- Effing builders again, I knew there was a reason we hardly ever work for them. We've done a few...
Replies
Views
I own a top floor tenement flat that I used to live in and then rented out after I married. It is currently empty whilst some work is being done...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock