Discuss First Interviews.............. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Squid

Lad in another thread posted up about going for hi "informal" interview,

soooo for the oldies on here what was yours like, I think I was nervous myself 16 years old walking down from Victoria Station to Vincent Square to the offices of EIL, the only bonus was that my Uncle worked there in the past so that was a help, I still got laid off once I'd done my time and ended up at Matthew Hall.

So, spill the beans.......

16 years old. I went for an interview at BEA Bedford in 198*cough* (ish).
Despite all the preparation my Father gave me regarding inteviews I was not prepared for what I saw. After being greeted (ushered) into the waiting area I was met with a corridor filled with hundreds (yes hundreds) of plastic chairs, each with a frightened, innocent 16 year old also looking for an apprentiship with BEA.
I turned around and left.
When I arrived home my Mum was really disapointed but also proud at my response. I told her that "I left, not because I was afraid, but because I realised that with so many other appliicants I was insignificant to such a large company".
I have no idea where that came from and if you knew me today you'd trust me to grab at the bigger boys, because I know where the money is.... now!

When I had my first job interview for an electrical apprenticeship, my Mum insisted on coming along too. All very embarrassing for a 16 year old, especially as the contracts manager had a Playboy calendar on the wall. Got the job though, and there were no special favours, before anyone suggests it!

Which is more than I can say about the interview I had the other week. Wish Mum was still around, God Bless her sole.

I think my Mum was at one of the interviews or was it to sign the Indenture papers can't remember now.

First day on site was scary as well, department store in West London going through an electrical refurbishment.

I think my Mum was at one of the interviews or was it to sign the Indenture papers can't remember now.

Probably was.

My second day was installing storage heaters. Lady of the house was at home, husband kept popping in & out.

Later in the day, the electrician told me one of the panels had been dented. He sent me back to the stores on my moped, with the panel strapped to my back! Took me ages to get there & back, with the thing buffeting around in the wind.

When I finally got back, they were both sat on the stairs, smoking a smoke?

First interview for a real job, I walk in to the Engineering managers office quiet nervously only for the manager to stand up and say "hello Dave I thought I recognized the name on the CV". Golden he played in band that would often be on at the pub I worked at while going through college and university.

Started apprenticeship in 1965 when I was 16, no gcse's or anything, having left school at 15 with South aWales Electricity Board. First six months at training school in Cardiff, big shock coming from small West Wales town. Retired just over 2 years ago after 50 years, with SWEB, then Norweb, which became United Utilities then ENWL. Never dreaded going in to work.

The worst days were when we were wiring new houses, first fix, no doors or windows, middle of winter and we were dropped off in the morning and picked up at night. Mini vans, usually the street lighting guy, Dai Lamps (this was Welsh Wales) driving, electrician in passenger seat, me in the back lying on top of tool boxes etc. Health and safety? Not in them days! Still enjoyed it though.

I think @SWD is working for Facebook and is trying to gain more info on the public.... I'm saying nothing...

Reply to First Interviews.............. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock