Search the forum,

Discuss Fixings to kingspan for hanging tray in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I would think if the holes were pumped full of silicone or something similar it would be ok?
Or possibly some kind of resin filler?

I used to work in a pressurised clean room environment and you would be amazed the leaks we could bodge up with some silicone lol
we did a job in a cat3 lab, they builder had never done one before.

to make it even more fun, was an old room that was being converted lol, had more holes than a collinder into that room

pink foam as far as the eye could see XD

They would never accept more holes filled with silicone the odd accident maybe but as for sealing studs I can ask but I know they won't be keen it'd definitely have to look good! , the product is high end costing @100k for a smallish system up to several million for a larger job
I'm going to see if the rivnuts they use are substantial enough as this would probably be the easiest thing for them to accept as they're already in use for other things.

No it's not a wind up ! Genuine request for alternative ideas
Can't give pics sorry but hopefully a better description of the installation
I've been asked to look for other ways to fix cable tray in what is essentially a kingspan box, at present the install methods (not mine) are to use 6" max tray upside down and fixed to a box section frame which runs along the enclosure,
it has to go on the ceiling as there are hanging conveyors moving products around the different processes floor level is not practical as the cables would be caked in a byproduct which sets very quickly harder than concrete!

Cables go to equipment outside and within the cell
No penetrations of the kingspan is allowed
as the product treatment is critical and historically there have been issues

The span between the box section is 1.5 m min 2m max and basically they're looking to turn the tray over and hang it from more regularly spaced supports fixed to the kingspan and not necessarily the box section frame if possible , this is to reduce time installing and for more flexibility in cable runs etc

I've suggested several other things already like ladder racking fixed to the frame as its more supported, or unistrut fixed to the frame across the spans but someone senior is not keen and wants other options to consider before committing to a install method
Its not carrying large numbers of cables and they are fairly small in csa.
So essentially as in the op I'm looking for a good way to fix tray rod hangers to kingspan! The install itself is fairly irrespective its a fixing method problem

Hi Edex, couple of questions that may make your problem a little easier for members to offer solutions.
How are the hanging conveyors supported or are they outside the kingspan cells?
If penetration is not allowed is this because the allowable penetration is exhausted elsewhere?
Would a support fixing system whereby a female adaptor fixed to steel allowed the male part to insert and turn 90 degrees to secure satisfy the need to reduce installation time?
I'm thinking manufactured plates with nuts to insert rod, fixed to steel via spot or chemical welding?

The conveyors are run "inside" along a track these tend to run around the cell, so it enters runs around the processes and then leaves the cell to go to another operation the track is fixed to the box section frame this is braced between runs etc so any cable tray run generally goes down the centre if possible and/or the sides but above the items on the conveyor
As mentioned before, tray is fixed upside down to pieces of unistrut (same width as tray) drilled and tapped/screwed to box section when there is an enclosed cell /non enclosed system the tray is on top of frame
Although there aren't huge numbers of holes to do, its drilling 6mm box and tapping overhead which takes a fair bit of time to do, they don't get it done by the fabricators as things do change ie customers request etc, the idea of manufactured brackets could be possible,
I have done a rough design which goes in the gap between the kingspan and box (3mm max) problems is it looks like a rough g clamp (cuz it is) and takes longer to make than to do the threaded holes, there are no products available I'm aware of which can do this
also it doesn't solve the issue of runs away from the frame, I'm hoping the rivnut idea will work as the jobs are built tested and stripped before shipping to destination where they are obviously recommissioned so this would be ideal.

Will they not go for plastic trunking and plastic conduit ? it can be screwed to the kingspan directly and siliconed to it as well for extra security. looks neat and matches the white face of the kingspan cheaper and easier to clean too.

Plastic Trunking has been tried before but the lid comes off in some environmental settings of the cell as some types are just not suitable when there are different temperatures being used ie in higher temps it becomes soft then theres the contraction/expansion as products with different settings are run.

Rivnuts is probably going to be what I'll use as its a product they already use elsewhere so they are familiar with its use
I'm looking at doing a run along one wall of kingspan as the tray on brackets (side on rather than angle/gallows brkts) there has a low load, but still waiting for a decision from the bosses re hanging the tray right side up on the ceiling ,they'll take their time before saying yay or nay!

Reply to Fixings to kingspan for hanging tray in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back