Discuss Fluke vs Megger which one? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have a Megger MFT1731 and having had a god with a Fluke, Megger all the way for me. Just so simple to use, no fancy menus to get lost in. I can't say for other models but the 1731 does have phase rotation in it along with earth electrode testing functions.
Hi Sparky Chick, i noticed you said you have a Megger 1731. I was just wondering why you did not put the extra £40 roughly and get the Megger 1735? I am just starting up as a Sole Trader and am about to go buy a Megger MFT and was going to get the same as you but noticed the 1735 is only slightly more expensive.

I've had mine for over 12 months, and if memory serves the price difference was somewhat more significant when I ordered. Plus, I think I struggled to see what the 1735 had to offer over the 1731... just had a look now and I'm still not sure what advantages the 1735 offers.

I also set myself a budget and tried to stick to it. As you'll know, setting up on your own is an expensive business :)

I've had mine for over 12 months, and if memory serves the price difference was somewhat more significant when I ordered. Plus, I think I struggled to see what the 1735 had to offer over the 1731... just had a look now and I'm still not sure what advantages the 1735 offers.

I also set myself a budget and tried to stick to it. As you'll know, setting up on your own is an expensive business :)
I got the 1731 and i rang megger when i bought it to ask the difference, and the units are exactly the same. The only difference is the 1735 comes with the earth spike kit and a hard case. The 1731 does not have the spike kit and has a soft case, which i personally prefere, the earth spike kit can be purchased seperatly anyway. So not much between them.

There we go, thanks for clarifying. I was a bit cheesed when I didn't get the spike kit as all the images on the site I bought it from showed it included... then I read the small print about the images being for illustrative purposes only.

Funnily enough I prefer the soft bag as well because I can bang a load of my test gear in there.

It's Megger for me. I've been using the MFT 1730 since 2014. Love it!

I have a Megger MFT1731 and having had a god with a Fluke, Megger all the way for me. Just so simple to use, no fancy menus to get lost in. I can't say for other models but the 1731 does have phase rotation in it along with earth electrode testing functions.

I was just wondering why you did not pay the extra £40-£50 for the MFT 1735. Is the MFT1735 not with the extra cost? I also notice that the 1731 and 1735 do not have the R1 AND R2 Value. I am new to this so please mind if these questions seem a little in appropriate.

I got the 1731 and i rang megger when i bought it to ask the difference, and the units are exactly the same. The only difference is the 1735 comes with the earth spike kit and a hard case. The 1731 does not have the spike kit and has a soft case, which i personally prefere, the earth spike kit can be purchased seperatly anyway. So not much between them.

Thank you for your quick response.

Thank you for your quick response.

I have noticed a company called ISSWWW.CO.UK and they are selling the 1731 and 1735 with accessories. Have you heard of this company before and can it be trusted? Or do you think i should just go direct to Megger? It ask if i want a certificate of calibration. I don't know what this is? Does anybody know?

I have noticed a company called ISSWWW.CO.UK and they are selling the 1731 and 1735 with accessories. Have you heard of this company before and can it be trusted? Or do you think i should just go direct to Megger? It ask if i want a certificate of calibration. I don't know what this is? Does anybody know?

I bought my Megger from them. Just be sure to read the product description.

Fluke for me all the way just bought the new version which does all main tests in one go now

It's apples and pears I think

I trained with fluke so have always used them and I like the yellow boxes

The company I used to work for had a fluke mft, when I went self employed I went for a kewtech kt64, and last year I bought a megger 1730 2nd hand from another forum member.
When subbing to other companies I've used a 15xx megger and a set of robin separates.

In my opinion they all do the job perfectly well and im happy using any of them. Personally I would see what deals are available at the wholesalers and pick the best priced unit with the functions I need and the most useful free accessories thrown into the deal. I originally went with the kewtech as it had a load of useful extras bundled with it.

I'm also a bit of a brand ---- when it comes to testers. There are certain models of tester I prefer for certain tests but no particular brand overall.

megger for me every time.bought my 1553 2nd hand from MDJ in 2013. just had it calibrated again for this year, last month. all ranges good.

NOT megger for me. Fluke all the way. The issue with megger (except for the expensive new MFT1741) is the Zs / Earth loop test in non trip mode. They are easily impacted by Noise and RCD's in the path. Despite what megger say in their application notes - Flukes non trip algorithm even in their low end and much older models are FAR FAR FAR superior. I suppose fluke has some patents on this. With more homes switching to RCBO's it becomes a pain if one cant do reliable non trip tests.

I got my Megger 1552 nine years ago and it's still going strong. Had to get the plug sockets replaced a couple of years ago and the rotary switch is getting a bit tired but looking back over the calibration results it's barely moved from the first calibration results.

But I will also happily use a Fluke and also the Metrel MI3000 has impressed me, a lot of functions for a pretty low cost.

Reply to Fluke vs Megger which one? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net