Discuss Fully loaded boards in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
Looking at a domestic RCBO 10way board which includes SPD and AFDD protection. Iv looked but cant seem to find a board that offers all these things.

I thought hager offered RCBO's with AFD protection, but I cant seem to find it as 1 package.

Fusebox offer a decent 10way SPD board but the addition of a fusebox AFDD seems impossible.

Any suggestions?

Wylex & Crabtree do single module width RCBO/AFDD for their boards, and you can get a basic board with incomer switch and SPD in various sizes.

Not cheap mind, but none of the AFDD are...

Looking at a domestic RCBO 10way board which includes SPD and AFDD protection. Iv looked but cant seem to find a board that offers all these things.

I thought hager offered RCBO's with AFD protection, but I cant seem to find it as 1 package.

Fusebox offer a decent 10way SPD board but the addition of a fusebox AFDD seems impossible.

Any suggestions?
What made you opt for AFDD and SPD protection?

I personally haven’t installed any arc fault devices yet , are They really worth £80-90 a breaker...
do we suffer enough arc faults to justify the cost ?
i know they use them in America and Canada because their extension leads and plug tops are susceptible to arcing

I think it depends. In my situation the client has fancy TVs, expensive cameras, top of the range drones, scooters, projectors etc....

Some of those could easily be effected by a surge, if they were to be effected then the cost of replacing one of those items outweighs the cost of a SPD.

Plus, kid like to future proof the board to a degree. I think we can all agree SPD and AFD will become mandatory so if I can squeeze it into budget then I'd like to include both

To me having SPD fitted makes perfect sense for any house really. But then I have greater reasons to fear divine retribution than many...

I doubt that AFDD are really worth the cost premium now in the broad sense (i.e. how many fires per 1000 homes they stop versus the cost of fitting out a 1000 homes, etc) but obviously if it was your house that had a fire the cost is worth it.

But longer term I see that all RCBO will eventually have AFDD capability and it will become the norm in 5-10 years to fit that, a bit like the rise of all RCBO boards in place of split RCD, in place of single RCD, as the cost of the electronics parts drops.

Have the powers that be caught up with the all RCBO board and altered the warning notice on the DB something along the lines of.

"This installation is fitted with earth fault protection on each circuit, these devises need testing every six months by pushing the button marked "T" or "Test" this should switch off the supply to the individual circuit it protects, to re-instate the supply switch the individual devise back on, if the device does not switch off when the button is pressed, or will not switch back on, seek expert advice."

Have the powers that be caught up with the all RCBO board and altered the warning notice on the DB something along the lines of.

"This installation is fitted with earth fault protection on each circuit, these devises need testing every six months by pushing the button marked "T" or "Test" this should switch off the supply to the individual circuit it protects, to re-instate the supply switch the individual devise back on, if the device does not switch off when the button is pressed, or will not switch back on, seek expert advice."

Isnt the term now "biannually" ?

You get labels saying to test twice a year. The hope is you do it when the clocks change.

The reality is it gets done when the cows come home.

Does it have to be a true 12 month year from Jan to Jan? or just a 12 month period? your move.

Twice a year.

There isn't 2 January's in 12 months.

If said RCD was fitted in march, personally I would test march, then september. Repeat the next year.

Basically every 6 months ? haha

Thats my take on it

If the RCD was fitted in March and then an EICR carried out in May the test would not have to be for another six months, As I said at the beginning "every six months"

If the RCD was fitted in March and then an EICR carried out in May the test would not have to be for another six months, As I said at the beginning "every six months"

I was commenting on what the labels now say. Not what they mean. As far as I'm aware, the labels now say biannually. Interpret it how you want.

Reply to Fully loaded boards in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock