Discuss Garage supply/RCBO Upstream in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

Old member here :hand: no idea where my old account went but hey ho!

Anyway, having moved into panel wiring I always like to check that I'm doing the right thing domestically etc, you wouldn't think I've got my 2391 but it's been a while!

So..ressuplying my large garage with a new 2.5 SWA into a Wiska box by the old board (MK DUAL) Currently protected by a 30ma RCD and a 32amp MCB. Buying a 4 way metal clad board for the garage but trying to decide on the protection.

I want to stop the 30ma RCD tripping in the house with a garage fault.

My first idea was to fit a main switch board with 4 x RCBO's, next was having a time delayed or 100ma RCD incomer and MCB's.

Do I need to ramp test my current RCD and see when it trips then decide? Back when I was sparking, I only dealt with a few cases of upstream/downstream discrimination so so just checking

If you have additional rcd protection at source it is not required in the garage. You aren't going to achieve selectivity from the 32A device but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. 2.5 swa is undersized for protection by way of a 32A device, personally I would up it to 40A and use 6.0 swa.

If you have additional rcd protection at source it is not required in the garage. You aren't going to achieve selectivity from the 32A device but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. 2.5 swa is undersized for protection by way of a 32A device, personally I would up it to 40A and use 6.0 swa.

Thanks, I really just wanted to get around the house not tripping out in the event of a garage fault like a security light getting moisture in etc.

Cable is 4mm swa sorry old cable was 2.5! And is already buried ready. Looks like I'll just get a main switch board with MCB's.

If your house DB is a dual RCD without any non-RCD ways your only option to prevent the house being affected by a garage fault is to Henley block the tails and fit a fused isolator to feed the distribution circuit with RCD protection at the garage end. Not a great deal extra work and a far better arrangement

Thanks, I really just wanted to get around the house not tripping out in the event of a garage fault like a security light getting moisture in etc.

Just a thought to the more intelligent than me... (which is about 95% of people here):
How about fitting a 10mA fused spur for the security light?
Is there enough discrimination for this to go before the house RCD or would you get nuisance tripping?

If your house DB is a dual RCD without any non-RCD ways your only option to prevent the house being affected by a garage fault is to Henley block the tails and fit a fused isolator to feed the distribution circuit with RCD protection at the garage end. Not a great deal extra work and a far better arrangement

This is what I'd be doing too ?

Just a thought to the more intelligent than me... (which is about 95% of people here):
How about fitting a 10mA fused spur for the security light?
Is there enough discrimination for this to go before the house RCD or would you get nuisance tripping?
Needs to have a delay to provide selectivity. A 10mA rcd still needs to provide additional protection and be tested at a current of 5x or greater than its Idelta N

As already covered, to get selectivity between RCDs you need two things:
  • The upstream RCD has to be at least 3 times higher trip (in practice) so you can be sure that the downstream one on small/growing leakage will not trip the upstream one (that might go at In/2)
  • The upstream one must have a delay so the downstream one has a chance to clear a high current earth fault that exceeds both RCD's In values before the upstream one has to trip
As also said, if selectivity on over current is needed (as ideally it should be present) then you won't get very good behaviour with cascaded MCBs for exactly the same sort of reason (the "instantaneous" magnetic trip have no time-selectivity in cascade).

So using a fused-switch to feed the SWA from the meter tails (as radiohead said) is better as typically you will see selectivity to a kA or two fault current, where as for MCBs in series typically it is only a few hundred amps.

My first idea was to fit a main switch board with 4 x RCBO's, next was having a time delayed or 100ma RCD incomer and MCB's.
If you are looking to fit RCBOs in the main board then you could simply have another 30mA RCBO for the garage and for the garage CU just have a switch incomer.

You still won't get good selectivity on over current, and you would have the minor inconvenience of having to go in to the house to reset any RCD trip as well, but it might be less trouble than splitting tails, etc.

Also you would have the benefit that the house circuits are less likely to spurious trips, and when something does trip you know unambiguously which circuit it was!

How about an mcb at the main house CU supplying only the swa cable. In the garage have an incomer and an RCBO(s). It must be determined that the RCBO trips before the main house mcb, so garage faults & over-current are contained inside the garage.

The only downside is that swa cable is not RCD protected. If RCD protection is required for all cables on the premises then it is a matter of section of two appropriate RCBOs in which the garage RCBO always trips first.

How about an mcb at the main house CU supplying only the swa cable. In the garage have an incomer and an RCBO(s). It must be determined that the RCBO trips before the main house mcb, so garage faults & over-current are contained inside the garage.
You won't get that on a hard fault, it will trip the magnetic release on both at currents of the order of 160A or more for even a couple of milliseconds (even a 13A fuse blowing can do that).

The only downside is that swa cable is not RCD protected. If RCD protection is required for all cables on the premises then it is a matter of section of two appropriate RCBOs in which the garage RCBO always trips first.
The SWA does not need RCD protection as any cut/penetration will trip the over-current protection.
[automerge]1591019073[/automerge]
If they can live with the lack of good selectivity on hard faults, it at least puts the RCD reset(s) locally to where anyone is working.

So pointless in having an underground swa cable on an RCD/RCBO.
[automerge]1591019740[/automerge]
If having a fused switch taken off henley blocks supplying the swa cable, then a separate mainswitch would also need to be fitted so the whole installation is isolated from one switch. So two switches fitted at the house CU/meter.

So pointless in having an underground swa cable on an RCD/RCBO.
Mostly.

But if you have a long cable where the armour fails to meet an acceptable Zs for the OCPD and you don't actually need it as a load earth (say it will be feeding a TT supply out building) then using something like a 100mA or 300mA delay (S-type) RCD would protect for cable damage and still allow you to have selectivity in the RCD/RCBO at the far end.
[automerge]1591020010[/automerge]
If having a fused switch taken off henley blocks supplying the swa cable, then a separate mainswitch would also need to be fitted so the whole installation is isolated from one switch. So two switches fitted at the house CU/meter.
I don't think it would be necessary if they are separate installations.

But if you have a supply isolator fitted that would do already, and as you are going to the trouble to have the DNO pull the fuse to split the tails you might as well fit an isolator so you don't have to call the DNO for any such work (e.g. CU or fused-switch replacement) in future!

Last edited:
Are you saying ramming in your own earth rod in an outbuilding or garage, not connecting to the house earth solves many problems?
[automerge]1591020239[/automerge]
I was always under the impression one isolator for the whole premises. I may be wrong.

Are you saying ramming in your own earth rod in an outbuilding or garage, not connecting to the house earth solves many problems?
It solves some problems, it gives you others!

If you can use a nice low impedance TN-S / TN-C-S earth then you should use it in most case.

But if you have a situation when the cable cost to meet the far earthing requirements is more than the additional RCDs and time/effort for local earthing, and/or if the situation is one where the risk of a PME fault making external metalwork live is a factor to consider, then going TT it is worth serious consideration.
[automerge]1591020425[/automerge]
I was always under the impression one isolator for the whole premises. I may be wrong.
I suspect that the garage would be seen as separate premises / installation. If it were for some extension to the existing building then I would say yes, it should be on a common isolator.
[automerge]1591021613[/automerge]
Schneider has a useful on-line tool to calculate selectivity in cascaded devices, but it seems only to work properly in Chrome web browsers:
Electrical Calculation Tool - https://hto.power.schneider-electric.com/cbt/app/index.html?code=34a79e11-548d-4e49-8a1e-10f9fa18492b&client_id=cbt#/Dashboard

For other makes of MCB where the precise details of the magnetic trip action are different you would not expect get the same results, but this is still a good general indicator of what you might expect.

Last edited:
Great response gents, thanks very much!

To note I have a mains isolator and a dreaded smart meter so there's not much space in my unit for henleys/new tails etc, also changing the main board for an RCBO jobbie would be difficult.

The SWA is buried under a very short section of stone flags so no chance of it ever getting hit.

I'm going to go for a main switch board with MCB's and just have the 30ma RCD protecting the garage circuit from the house. If it ever nuisance trips from the garage (Where all the circuits are going to be new) I can find the fault easy anyway so it's not like it's a customers house who would be moaning :confused1:

Reply to Garage supply/RCBO Upstream in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock