Discuss Getting employed with epilepsy in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've completed the city and guilds level 1 electrical installation at college now. Level 2 starts in September.

I have epilepsy and also have had a brain tumour removed from my right temporal lobe back in 2009. They had to also put a little metal plate above my ear as they had to take something off in order to get to the tumour area. My seizures are well controlled.

Obviously I'm scared of being electrocuted. I know it's discrimination to not employ somebody simply because of an illness. But if considered a risk when the risk assessment is carried out then they're entitled to say no aren't they? I understand if so.

I'm thinking about quitting this course though if I'm honest for one other reason. The college is a mess and we keep getting messed about in different ways, verrrry long story. It has been extremely stressful for the whole college.

Logically I think it's bet if I forgot about it. It's ----, but if it's best thing to do then I'll just have to do it.

I imagine there are employers on here. Your inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Don’t be put off and blame your epilepsy.
You will not be electrocuted if you follow the training and perform safe isolation, test what you’re working on and just take care.
My cousin has had epilepsy since a child and he was a driver... early morning starts and an amateur rugby player. Plenty of head knocks, but medication kept fits under control.
(Unless mixed with welsh rugby tour and copious amounts of alcohol)

Your course, however, is a different matter.
If the whole college is a mess, then there must be somewhere that issues can be reported to.

Hi John - sorry to hear about your health troubles. For what it’s worth it’s good to be concerned about safety, but you should not be fearful. Maybe have a look if there’s another college you could transfer to for next level?

You mention "well controlled seizures" I take it from this you are not seizure free. If that is the case how would you work on ladders or other access equipment without presenting a risk to yourself or others
My brother had epilepsy and struggled to get a job until he had been seizure free for a number of years ( this was back in the early 80's) he did grow out of it so it has not been a problem since, I'm not sure how it would be now as a lot of laws have been introduced to stop disability discrimination but health and safety also carries a lot weight and may be what has the final say

Can’t see why someone with epilepsy, controlled, would be a problem with an employer, wouldn’t make any difference to me.....failing that f&@k em and work for yourself...as the others have said plenty more training providers :)

Thanks guys, I think if I am going to carry on I need to find somewhere else. Another guy in my group that has done really well too has decided to not bother going onto level 2 because of the college being so disorganised and short staffed, making things completely pear shaped.

People I've told about how the year has gone down have said it's pretty shocking. To start with we had a decent tutor for nearly 2 months who's been tutoring for 15 years at the college and still works on site (ace tutor he is). But then he had to go to teach the level 2 students, then we got a guy who's never tutored before and just worked as a sparky, he was pretty eccentric but pretty funny and knew his stuff, just not really the tutoring type. Half the class decided to go score the drug ecstasy at dinner time when he came so they were just messing around on MDMA in class. He went after a week and then we got another tutor who even lied about being an electrics tutor, he was a headmaster at a previous school and didn't really know much about electrics. He even suggested to the technicians to get blowtorches for heating pvc conduit for bending.

The technicians have been doing as much covering as they can, I have loads of respect for them. My current tutor (he's fine) is getting told to cover other classes so we're left without a tutor a lot, so lots and lots of times I get to college and wasted my time. And that is an extremely regular occurrence.

Because of how the year has gone down I'm not that confident in the college. The tutor we had at the start of the year is who we are supposed to have for level 2 but I would put all my money on that not end up happening. If I had him all year I'd be super cool but the way the college is I don't think that will end up being the case, especially with the level 3 group being the same. Every level 3 group in the college in every subject is having these exact same problems.

I guess the college is stressing me out with the way it's being dealt with and am put off going back. One side of me is saying stick to it and proceed, but the other side is saying to not bother. Which is why coming to terms with accepting that my epilepsy could prevent me from getting employed in that field could be a good thing. Because at least I won't be in two minds whether to bother or not. And where electricity is concerned it is best to be safe.

That sounds terrible to deal with. If it's Hull college I can understand and sympathise though. The electrical dept is generally cock on, but the management have been running the place into the ground for years now. Massive staff layoffs last year left nearly every dept half staffed. I know quite a few friends that took voluntary redundancy.

As for your condition then I would echo the advice above to not let it rule you or your career direction. If you send me a pm I'll give you the name of someone at the college that might be able to chat to you regarding all this.

Aren't the CITB tests for health and safety and to get the CSCS card? I suppose they could give some advice.

I'm intending to stick to it, but if I get messed about again in any way like this year I will be leaving.

As you might be able to tell by my posts. The college is frustrating me but I don't want to be a quitter because of it. Hence seeking to get convinced my medical condition could hold me back so I don't feel as such of a quitter because at least I had valid medical reasons to do so.

Suppose working on a factory line can be as equally dangerous so really no point in thinking I can't do it.

There are also possible careers available to you in the machine building industry. Panel building is one that might suit you. No working at height, most of the work is going to be indoors in a controlled environment, risk assessment is easier because there are less unknowns.
Best of luck whatever you decide.

You mention "well controlled seizures" I take it from this you are not seizure free. If that is the case how would you work on ladders or other access equipment without presenting a risk to yourself or others
What an odd coincidence, I was working yesterday with a chap who had an epileptic seizure, he fell off the ladder he was on and hit his head on a machine. Fortunately he was working with other people who could help stop the bleeding and call an ambulance. It was frightening watching him seize and fall. Bloke had no idea where he was, what he was doing or where he lived when he came round. Cracking response though when the paramedic asked him what he was doing today, 'nothing much' was the reply. :)

I had a serious seizure when in the forces. Result was a discharge on medical grounds.
Worked out well financially. Not had a seizure since although took 2 years to get driving licence back from DVLA.
I have worked for companies and now for myself.
They were aware of the seizure as it was reason for leaving forces on CV. But skills and attitude came first for them.
I didnt take any meds long term as consultant advised me not to as they cant say how effective they really are.
If you want to make it in this industry, then you can find 100 reasons not to. Or find 100 to give it a shot. Its all about motivation, desire and hardwork.

Thanks for your replies guys. I still have my heart set on becoming an electrician. I've finally had enough of the college though, I've made my mind up about that now.
SLT are just absolutely terrible there and that's not going to change anytime soon at least. Most of SLT are just full of s**t, no wonder tutors just keep leaving.

Reply to Getting employed with epilepsy in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock