Search the forum,

Discuss Given Up ! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ajpom1

I have been running my own electrical contracting business for 5 years i finished my apprenticeship at 21 and went at it alone. Over the years i employed 2 electricians and took on some very good jobs. I couldnt have wished for more. Then over the last year work started to disappear or not worth doing due to lower quotes.My biggest problem was customers not paying and it left me in ruins. I have just started to shut my business down as i was offered a managers job for an electrical firm i was sub-contracting for. The money is not great but its regular money every month. I am starting to miss my days of self employment already an wonder if i have made the right choice would things have got better ?

Really sorry to hear that you are being forced to finish your business. Im sure things will pick up but the big question is when?? bills still have to be paid. Im sure you have made the right decission. I have always worked for other employers and never run my own business but have never missed a pay day and received sick pay hols, etc so its not all bad.

Things have to get better sooner or later, it's the when that's the problem. Could you scale back to working weekends to keep your regulars happy then when things do pick up you still have that client base?
Once they're gone they ain't coming back, but I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that:)
Good luck mate

Superb acumen in my book, why incur more losses.

Your only 26, work for them for a while, ride out the doldrums and who knows you may have a loyal client base when you start on your own again.

Im sorry to here that im self employed an its busy and im getting paid which is good one thing i did do was not take any one on i just sub contract when i need a helping had which i have to admit is not often now as most of my work is small inspections and minor works , you may well be working for some one else but you are still young and there is no reason that you cant go self employed again when things get better and they will good luck for the future

Sad news fella,
I'm sure you feel the same way about the company as me with mine. It becomes a member of the family.
Only thing i can say is if ever you do start up again it will be with a clean slate and you will know all the pitfalls before they happen.
good luck with the new venture.

Thanks for the replies it feels like i have lost an arm shutting it down. I have brought some customers to my new firm and little ones i do over a weekend. I am hopeing to keep them happy then if i go back on my own they will be still there.

Just thought i would write a quick reply to what came of my new job. I am still working for them employed two new electricians and secured some good contracts. Been given a pay rise which i am greatful for. Realy happy i made the move very stressful at times but realy enjoying it. Kind of feels like i still have my own business but with the backing of a big company. Still some interesting times ahead but im sure things will get better

It's always good to see an update. Glad to hear you're happy with the new company and it sounds like you'll have job security if they're expanding. With hindsight it looks like it was the right move for you.

Reply to Given Up ! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net