Discuss Glorified extension lead in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first post, some background first.
I'm not qualified. I am comfortable with logic-level voltage and have worked a summer job wiring control systems under someone with 30 years of experience. I am comfortable I can wire something up neatly and safely (no nicks, no stray strands, no tight corners, proper crimping etc), it's just design I'm concerned about.

English isn't my first language (I do live i the UK, originally Dutch) so forgive me if I use wrong terms.

If you advise me to get an electrician in I will do so, but learning new things and making things yourself is just much more fun. As such your experience is very much appreciated.

On to my actual question:
I'm moving into my first non-rental soon, and am building myself a nice desk used for various things. Rather than the rat's nest living under my desk as it is now I'd like to make something nicer.

The plan is to mount a length of 100x50 trunking on the wall at the back of the desk. Inside the trunking I'm looking to install standard double wall sockets in appropriate twin BS boxes to make connecting and disconnecting various items easier. Things like a laptop, soldering iron, small lab power supply. Nothing too power hungry.

To do this safely my plan is to cable up a plug with 3 core flex cable, route that through a cable gland mounted into the bottom of the trunking to provide strain relief, and then use that to wire up the sockets.
I'd connect the different sockets by crimping two lengths of the cable into one (appropriately sized) crimping sleeve essentially connecting the different sockets in parallel. The one going to the previous socket (or the feed) and the other going to the next. I'd use the same 3 wire cable since I figured the extra layer of insulation is a good thing.
I'm looking to wire up 4-5 double sockets. I wouldn't use them all simultaneously, but for safety's sake I'd assume they will be.

The current plan is to start with a 13A fused plug plugged into the wall outlet. The cable I have is 1.5mm^2 which should be good for a minimum 14A. The sockets are rated 13A.
As such the fuse at the 'beginning' of the circuit should be the first thing to fail should anything downstream go wrong. In theory...

My questions are as follows:
- 13A and 14A are quite close, with there being resistance down the line. Would I be wise getting some 2,5mm^2 whilst still using a 13A fuse in the plug or would that be overkill?

- The sockets I'm looking at are rated at 13A which appears to be standard. This makes the socket potentially the 'weakest link' instead of my fuse. Would it still be considered safe? Is there anything I can/should to the sockets to protect them, perhaps fused sockets (if they exist)?

- Would I need someone to sign this off for legal/insurance purposes or is this something I can do myself according to regulations?

I hope you'll forgive me my long post. Any advice from you as experts is very much appreciated, even is the advice is don't be a muppet and get a professional. Thank you.

Edit: I hope I posted this in the right place. If not, my apologies.

Hello all,

This is my first post, some background first.
I'm not qualified. I am comfortable with logic-level voltage and have worked a summer job wiring control systems under someone with 30 years of experience. I am comfortable I can wire something up neatly and safely (no nicks, no stray strands, no tight corners, proper crimping etc), it's just design I'm concerned about.

English isn't my first language (I do live i the UK, originally Dutch) so forgive me if I use wrong terms.

If you advise me to get an electrician in I will do so, but learning new things and making things yourself is just much more fun. As such your experience is very much appreciated.

On to my actual question:
I'm moving into my first non-rental soon, and am building myself a nice desk used for various things. Rather than the rat's nest living under my desk as it is now I'd like to make something nicer.

The plan is to mount a length of 100x50 trunking on the wall at the back of the desk. Inside the trunking I'm looking to install standard double wall sockets in appropriate twin BS boxes to make connecting and disconnecting various items easier. Things like a laptop, soldering iron, small lab power supply. Nothing too power hungry.

To do this safely my plan is to cable up a plug with 3 core flex cable, route that through a cable gland mounted into the bottom of the trunking to provide strain relief, and then use that to wire up the sockets.
I'd connect the different sockets by crimping two lengths of the cable into one (appropriately sized) crimping sleeve essentially connecting the different sockets in parallel. The one going to the previous socket (or the feed) and the other going to the next. I'd use the same 3 wire cable since I figured the extra layer of insulation is a good thing.
I'm looking to wire up 4-5 double sockets. I wouldn't use them all simultaneously, but for safety's sake I'd assume they will be.

The current plan is to start with a 13A fused plug plugged into the wall outlet. The cable I have is 1.5mm^2 which should be good for a minimum 14A. The sockets are rated 13A.
As such the fuse at the 'beginning' of the circuit should be the first thing to fail should anything downstream go wrong. In theory...

My questions are as follows:
- 13A and 14A are quite close, with there being resistance down the line. Would I be wise getting some 2,5mm^2 whilst still using a 13A fuse in the plug or would that be overkill?

- The sockets I'm looking at are rated at 13A which appears to be standard. This makes the socket potentially the 'weakest link' instead of my fuse. Would it still be considered safe? Is there anything I can/should to the sockets to protect them, perhaps fused sockets (if they exist)?

- Would I need someone to sign this off for legal/insurance purposes or is this something I can do myself according to regulations?

I hope you'll forgive me my long post. Any advice from you as experts is very much appreciated, even is the advice is don't be a muppet and get a professional. Thank you.

Edit: I hope I posted this in the right place. If not, my apologies.
i would use dado trunking. this uses specific back boxes for the sockets, and can be compartmented so you can separate data etc. from mains. i would hard wire from convenient socket and use 2.5mm singles in the trunking. no need for ferrules then which you would need if using flex.

i would use dado trunking. this uses specific back boxes for the sockets, and can be compartmented so you can separate data etc. from mains. i would hard wire from convenient socket and use 2.5mm singles in the trunking. no need for ferrules then which you would need if using flex.
Thank you for your suggestion.
The dado trunking looks good. Similar to what I was looking at (link).
I was under the assumption that hard wiring it into a socket would make it a spur, which would make it a breaking of the standard if I had more than one double socket on it without wiring it into the ring?

I’m doing the same in my garage with some excess dado trunking. 8 doubles for PC setup, CCTV equipment and all my battery chargers etc.

your plan is sound, everything plugged into your trunking will be protected by the 13A fuse in the plug top. 1.5mm cable will be fine.

I would advise that check your existing circuit for RCD protection

Thank you for your suggestion.
The dado trunking looks good. Similar to what I was looking at (link).
I was under the assumption that hard wiring it into a socket would make it a spur, which would make it a breaking of the standard if I had more than one double socket on it without wiring it into the ring?
good point. OK so go with a plug-in lead,trunking or tube up to dado. then just link sockets.

the ideal cable for use in dado is 7 strand singles, but... you need to buy 3 x 100m rolls, unlees you couls scrounge a few metres of each, perhaps from a forum member??? using flex is OK, but you'd need to ferrule all the ends to terminate.

Reply to Glorified extension lead in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net