Discuss Grandkids updated in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Due to Covid I have been getting back to photography a little bit. Used to do some pro stuff for work, but not really high quality. I use a venerable Canon Rebel (350D) which I have used and abused for many years, and it's hardly state-of-the -art, but it is a workhorse. My go to lens for interior shoots is a 10-20mm Sigma, but I have a variety of other Canon and Sigma ones.
I also have the classic A1, and a AE1, and I have thought about going back to film with those just for fun, but it's expensive compared with digital, obviously. I would have sold them off, but you get buttons for what are pieces of art...
I carry an Ixus in my pocket for fun, but the phone gets used a lot these days.
Still trying to get to grips with my GoPro...but i will persevere!

i still have a canon AE1, 2 canon EOS film bodies, couple od Zenits, and a couple of 1960's 120 roll film jobbies. as you say, film is too expensive these days. pity as we used to make every shot count, whereas now it's the shotgun approach. take 100 and hope that 3 or 4 are worth keeping.

Unfortunately I had to sell some gear a few years ago during a lull in my self employment, I wish I hadn't now.
Not so much money available now to purchase replacements :-(
The price of photographic gear has more than doubled IMO over several years.

One from today. I cheated and took these separately, Turned one around and merged them. Looks like a floating head on the left, but on my monitor (original image) you can see the detail of the black jumper. 1st studio session with my upgrade in gear EOS 6DMKII

Attachments

• Mergedfor print.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 11
Nice image there! I've spent a bit of time revisiting my Canon Rebel over the last year, and while I am fairly happy with the results I never really print any of the images except for any "requests" from friends and family. The photos I take for myself are simply filed on my PC and may never get looked at again. The quality from my phone is perfectly good enough for viewing on a decent sized monitor, so the phone gets used almost daily, but the Canon only comes out for special trips where I have a specific goal in mind. I don't do many "trips" these days as the low cost of digital is outweighed by the high cost of diesel!
Anyway, please do post some more pics in due course. It's refreshing change from electrical stuff!

Anyway, please do post some more pics in due course. It's refreshing change from electrical stuff!
Thank you.
I must admit, and it has surprised me that since retiring, I have lost all interest in the electrical trade.

Is that the 550D you have? Was and still is a decent camera. I upgraded to the 6DMKII after buying a second hand 6D, the difference compared to my pre-loved 5D was night and day. As I sometimes make pretty big enlargements I wanted the extra definition. I traded 2x 5D's and my 550D in towards the purchase.

Nope, it's the original 350D, known as the Rebel in US and other markets. Must be 25 years old now and has never missed a beat, and served me well at work for 20 of those years. I guess it's relative simplicity and build quality was a factor in me not "upgrading", and the small variety of lenses I have covered every eventuality I encountered.
Saw a Pentax Spotmatic on sale in my local charity shop, immaculate condition...£8!
I didn't buy it, as I still have an immaculate A1 and AE1...but afterwards I thought "hey, no money in these, so why not collect them and build a "camera wall"? Still can't get used to my GoPro either...but I'm probably too old!

Reply to Grandkids updated in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net