Discuss Grey ish area in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

wattsup

A multi hundred pound granite (£) back splash in a kitchen.

So understandably no unneeded switches/sockets wanted...ahhh, an under worktop washer and dryer (two separate units).

I can understand the need for local accessable disconnection, but hey two switch fuses would look real ****e. I can't install one sfs cos it would be very close to 18 amps if both appliances on at the same time, hence the 13amp fuse may melt, at least it would eventually...

Anyhow I thought one 20amp dp switch, controlling 1 twin socket, which in turn would supply both appliances, the 20 amp switch on the local ring main, is that ok?.

Sockets fitted in adjoining cupboards is out of the question

I have heard of this before, a NO NO to fitting S/O in cupboards, where in the regs does it say u cannot.
The only people we have come across are the actual fitters and most of them don,t mind as its common sense, as long as you can isolate appliances what the heck, safely that is.

Im probably missing something but here goes anyway'
Is there a cupboard on ether side of the washer and dryer positions? If so why can’t you fit a twin 13A skt (un-switched) into the ring cct and mount it in the back of a cupboard. Isolation of either item would then be achieved by pulling the plug?:confused:

im assuming the "out of the question" to s/o in units is more to do with the customer rather than the regs, i have had this myself and as an idea - what about a socket outlet under the units (provided plinth is easy to remove)
or am i just rough?

i've even had customers demand cooker switches in unit's because of "spoiling the look"
"defeats it's object sorry love it goes there" chip pan on fire which cupboard do you empty?:D

Last edited by a moderator:
1 2g skt loaded up by these two loads does'nt sound good to me as most 2g skt are rated at 13A for both install 2 1g skts them 13A each

The trouble is if the sockets used to power the equipment are consealed then there is no quick isloation point.

If the customer doesn't want unsightly plugs or spurs you can always fit one of these trendy pop up sockets somewhere in the work surface - only £229.99........lol

Hettich Pop Up Socket - handles4doors

Otherwise it sounds like the chisel might have to come out.

I suppose the kitchen fitter forgot about the power for the accessories when fitting the granite?? :(

bring your ring main into a 35mm single box , uses 2 x 20a dp engraved switches controlling 1 single skt each under the work top ..

Hamilton do a good range of engraved clip in dp 20 a switches , with , fridge , wash mach ect engraved on them .. you will also need the the back grid and double front plate that fits on a single skt box

Don't forget to link out the back of the switches to keep the ring continuity

this method of switching under unit appliances is often used in new builds

or use the mk range

MK Grid Plus - Buy quality MK Grid Plus

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a similar problem with a kitchen install, which highlighted another point about kitchen isolation, esp cookers / hobs.

There has to be electrical isolation for a cooker or hob incase there is a pan fire, so so we can all quote the regs / guides etc. When did you last see a isolation tap for a gas hob?

There has to be electrical isolation for a cooker or hob incase there is a pan fire, so so we can all quote the regs / guides etc.

There has to be a point of isolation that is accessible for whatever reasons.

Therefore this would allow an isolator, albeit plug and socket or switch to be located in the front of an under worktop cupboard.

Always do if client wants clear walls.

Even my assessor agreed and said it was fine.

A multi hundred pound granite (£) back splash in a kitchen.

So understandably no unneeded switches/sockets wanted...ahhh, an under worktop washer and dryer (two separate units).

I can understand the need for local accessable disconnection, but hey two switch fuses would look real ****e. I can't install one sfs cos it would be very close to 18 amps if both appliances on at the same time, hence the 13amp fuse may melt, at least it would eventually...

Anyhow I thought one 20amp dp switch, controlling 1 twin socket, which in turn would supply both appliances, the 20 amp switch on the local ring main, is that ok?.

Sockets fitted in adjoining cupboards is out of the question

I think your isolation can be up to 2m away horizontally from your appliance.fit your FCUs away from splashback and drop 1.5 flexes down and fit duraplug single sockets accessable for fuse changing under kickspace.

assured elec

bring your ring main into a 35mm single box , uses 2 x 20a dp engraved switches controlling 1 single skt each under the work top ..

Hamilton do a good range of engraved clip in dp 20 a switches , with , fridge , wash mach ect engraved on them .. you will also need the the back grid and double front plate that fits on a single skt box

problem with this is that the supply side of the 20a dp switchs normally are not rated above 20a therefore would not be able to drop onto a 32a ring. niceic bloke picked this up at an inspection and although its done in alot of new builds he advise it was wrong and so to perhaps split the ring at the switch and then create 2 seperate radials back at the board

or use the mk range

assured elec

problem with this is that the supply side of the 20a dp switchs normally are not rated above 20a therefore would not be able to drop onto a 32a ring. niceic bloke picked this up at an inspection and although its done in alot of new builds he advise it was wrong and so to perhaps split the ring at the switch and then create 2 seperate radials back at the board

or use the mk range

are 13amp sockets,13amp spur units rated at more than 20amp?I don't think so.The copper terminals appear to be beefier in a 20amp dp.??

assured elec

or use the mk range

Sockets are rated at 13 amps , and you link the ring out in the back of the dp 20a switches to prevent splitting the ring , like i said

Sockets are rated at 13 amps , and you link the ring out in the back of the dp 20a switches to prevent splitting the ring , like i said

so if sockets are rated at 13amp,with say 2plugtops with 10amps load each,plugged into a double socket on a 32amp ring,this socket would be seriously overloaded.Should a double socket not be rated at 26amp(2x13).
just wondering about the logic of the niceic man not permitting the 20amp dp on the ring?(previous poster)

Reply to Grey ish area in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock