Discuss Hair clippers refuse to run properly. in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I live off grid with only solar and generator power, I've been using hair clippers for years but now I have 3 sets of Wahl mains clippers none of which will run properly in any of my 3 inverters, nor a ( non inverter ) Honda generator. The motors / solonoids in the clippers run weakly and can't cut on the inverters, and haywire over powered off the geny, the adjustment screw on them does nothing. They are all 50 htz as are my power sources.

I adjusted the generator rpm right though its voltage range but nothing worked.

Before I junk all the clippers and buy rechargeable ones does anyone know what is going wrong ?

Hi -do you have any test gear? - what type of clippers are they (animal, hedge etc) ? Pic of the clipper and it's rating plate (if it's got one). What invertors do you have? :)

Thinking old school , go for genny .
Were clipppers only load on genny ?
If so -add an incandescent lightbulb / heater to
give it a 10 - 30% load . Or even try an old car battery charger + battery
to take some spikes off !

Inverters..

1. 56hz - 198 v
2. 67hz - 201 v
3. 51hz - 203 v

Generator at 230 v - 1540 - 1600 hz

That solves the mystery then ?

I knew the geny was out of spec, but not all three inverters.

I suspect the high speed switching on/off of the load is confusing the inverter and that the engine of the generator can’t keep up with the rapidly changing demand.

As suggested earlier a constant ballast load on the generator may help.

Don't you have a buddy or somewhere local with grid power where you can try them? It would be worth the effort to rule out the clippers themselves being the problem before trying to find a work around for a power problem that might not even be there....

Taking a guess,if they have oscillating coil mechanisms,and not conventional motors,it could be your waveform shape,which is upsetting them.
Something for the weekend,thought wise,anywho...

I'd guess the highly non-linear nature of the load (almost purely inductive) could be causing sufficient phase angle lagging to be having some strange effect on the output IGBT's of an inverter. Not sure what the generators excuse might be, possibly some similar effect on the output regulator, who knows.

I'd still rule out the clippers themselves being the problem first though.

Hi -do you have any test gear? - what type of clippers are they (animal, hedge etc) ? Pic of the clipper and it's rating plate (if it's got one). What invertors do you have? :)
the clue is in the thread title HAIR clippers

Reply to Hair clippers refuse to run properly. in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net