Discuss half hourly import in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Thinking on the intermittent nature of your charging problem....

The Vesta V27 includes switchable power factor correction under computer control because the generator has two selectable windings depending on the power output..

See para 3.12 and 3.17 of

Some HH meters record kVAh as well as kWh and some energy suppliers charge for reactive or apparent power consumption and not just kWh.

See: https://www.edfenergy.com/sites/default/files/b2b-guide_to_reactive_power.pdf

Thinking more on the intermittent nature of the 'spikes' in half-hourly consumption, it would be very helpful to know:

a. the units and amounts ie: kW? kWh or kVAh?
b. how is the data from the HH meter returned - through the internet automatically?
c. does your electricity bill show a charge for kVAh and/or reactive kVArh. I am making a distinction here between kWh - actual power consumed and kVAh - apparent power which is higher and comprises of actual power plus reactive power which is not a net transfer of energy but rather a tooing and froing between the supply and certain types of load such as motors and generators.

Last edited:
As an aside that EDF e-guide is pretty rubbish! Its first factual error occurs at the third word and there's a further error before the end of the sentence. It doesn't get much better. Can anybody make sense of this:
Where the first step is 50%, the Local Network Operator does not charge for reactive power for the first 50% of units (kWh). Charges therefore apply when the difference between the total units recorded on the reactive register (kVArh) is less than 50% of the total units consumed (kWh).
I know what it is trying to say, but if I didn't, I'd be more confused than when I started.

You point out a typo first.

Second you quibble I think about the use of 'difference'. AP = TP + RP when I was at school so RP =AP - TP - a difference. You know why I have written them in bold. AP is apparent power, TP is true power and RP is reactive power.

On the third point you may be tired. An example calculation was provided. But yes, 'more than' instead of 'less than'.

Suggest you contact the author of it.

:)

Last edited:
Not wishing to sidetrack the thread, my first point was that KVArh is not a unit of power as implied. The second, yes, this is aimed at non-technical people with no knowledge of the underlying maths who are unlikely to interpret correctly the ambiguous 'total power consumed.' Then, apart from the sign issue, the difference between which two variables specifically; the kVArh reading and what?

They were just three of many quibbles picked at random. I could have complained about the meter that consumes 2.5MWh, the number agreement error between 'most electrical equipment' and 'create', the non-sequitur 'reactive power therefore generates...' etc. More importantly, it does not explain reactive power coherently, nor why the charges it attracts are computed in the way they are, nor differentiates between power factor and efficiency (a common source of confusion.) Power factor supposedly 'indicates how effectively electrical power is being used.' Grr.

Reply to half hourly import in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock