Discuss Hammond Organ, is it safe in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

For buzzing that is certainly a possibility but we should call it signal ground instead of earth

I was just looking at the circuit. I suggest beginning by looking at the connections from pedal divider board to pedal mute tab and its associated wiring, as these lie between the keying diodes on the divider board (which aren't controlling the buzz) and the drawbar (which is). I would begin by linking divider board pin 1 (output) to pin 9 (ground) and seeing if that clears the buzz partially or completely. Then we can move forwards or backwards depending on the result.

Do you have a multimeter?

E2A Ah I see you have found someone to do this, hope it goes well. Also ignore previous incorrect reference to pin 6!

Hmm, well if you want to have a look at your own risk, try my suggestion, pedal div board link pins 1 & 9.
And/or confirm what effect the pedal mute tab has on the buzz.
Make sure the pedal div board can see ground properly, it might pass signal in the absense of a solid ground connection due to paths through the footage switch etc.
Service manual is available here https://medias.audiofanzine.com/files/hammond-xtp-series-service-manual-478272.pdf
It is missing a few pages and parts of it are specific to the XTP but the circuits for the cabinet T's are there.
P29/30 of the PDF shows the pedal divider schematic, 31 the PCB, 33 & 38 the wiring from divider to the pedal drawbar

I can't stop picturing the Viz comic strip 'Captain Morgan and his Hammond Organ'

It's always possible to drag the tone of a thread downwards.

Actually the organ (the instrument) has always had a problem with its name. I'm sure there would be much less tittering in the back row if it were called the 'omniphone' or 'aerochord' or really anything but organ. Perhaps the piano could be renamed the plonker, to distract attention.

It's always possible to drag the tone of a thread downwards.

Actually the organ (the instrument) has always had a problem with its name. I'm sure there would be much less tittering in the back row if it were called the 'omniphone' or 'aerochord' or really anything but organ. Perhaps the piano could be renamed the plonker, to distract attention.

Omniphone - I like that.

If you listen to some good orchestral-style playing on a big multi-genre civic organ, and in this domain there is no finer example than Richard Hills at the Southampton Guildhall Compton, you will get a sense of how apt the 'omni' is. Try these little samples from this instrument:

And to return towards the original subject of the Hammond, this one features the Melotone electrostatic tone generator which is incorporated into the pipe organ.

The men at Compton who designed this had tried electromagnetic generators as used in the Hammond, ran into some of the same limitations as Hammond, and developed the more versatile electrostatic system instead that sounded more convincingly like a pipe organ. However, Hammond did a much better job of selling his invention and and although his tone generators didn't sound quite like a pipe organ (in fact there was a lawsuit in which it was questioned whether the Hammond instrument was, in fact, an organ) their signature sound was promoted, caught on and became a legend of its own.

Last edited:
If you listen to some good orchestral-style playing on a big multi-genre civic organ, and in this domain there is no finer example than Richard Hills at the Southampton Guildhall Compton, you will get a sense of how apt the 'omni' is. Try these little samples from this instrument:

And to return towards the original subject of the Hammond, this one features the Melotone electrostatic tone generator which is incorporated into the pipe organ.

The men at Compton who designed this had tried electromagnetic generators as used in the Hammond, ran into some of the same limitations as Hammond, and developed the more versatile electrostatic system instead that sounded more convincingly like a pipe organ. However, Hammond did a much better job of selling his invention and and although his tone generators didn't sound quite like a pipe organ (in fact there was a lawsuit in which it was questioned whether the Hammond instrument was, in fact, an organ) their signature sound was promoted, caught on and became a legend of its own.

I will definitely look at those links later. Beer precludes me from fully appreciating them tonight.

Good stuff, thanks for reporting back. Keep the generator oiled with the correct oil and it'll probably outlast all of us.

Reply to Hammond Organ, is it safe in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net