CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Has my dishwasher been ruined? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

James

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

It's the Fast Track Service in the Country Court (unless it's changed). Simple to do online, doesn't need lawyers, and should it get to a hearing they are relatively informal.
Of course, if the handyman has no assets then it'll be hard to enforce a judgement - but few have so few assets that they can't have £200-300 taken away. Most likely he'll cough up something to get you to stop - at least if he's any sense. Only a fool would continue to defend such negligence - the costs just go up and up, you can claim interest, and court fees, and enforcement fees (bailiffs), which all add to his bill.
Certainly worth looking into.

But also check out the space. If the instructions say "min 600mm" and yours is only 590mm then you've a problem. But if the instructions say min 590mm and you've got 600mm then the service engineer is in the wrong. I know in one of my properties I have an end space that's only something like 580mm when it should be 600 - had to shave a bit off the door because it wasn't shutting properly, and it limited the range of fridges available to fit. I suspect some kitchen fitter had a burning sensation in his lug 'oles when I spotted that.
if he has no free cash to pay, they will look at his income against expenditure.
chances are you will get a few £ a month ( if anything)

you could easily loose more than you optimistically can gain.

he says cupboard was to small to remove safely, court requires an independent survey, £200 spent for that,
£60 for court fees.
you are already risking more than you are likely to receive in pay out.

if it were me, i would give it up as a bad job, move on and enjoy life rather than spend the next 3 months worrying about a legal argument in court.

Wilko

-
Esteemed
Arms
My 20p is that the DW already had a significant fault and so was not in good repair prior to having its door ripped off. This pre-existing fault would further reduce the value of the machine at the time of the incident. Likely I would ask the chap for money back and move on, but thats just me.

UNG

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
The handyman is absolutely correct in one regard - there's no way to take one unit out of a fitted kitchen without basically destroying it - not unless it was an end unit.
There are ways to take units out of a fitted kitchen without destroying the unit or the kitchen and it doesn't have to be an end unit but I doubt your basic handyman would have the tools or knowledge to do it without causing problems

Thanks all. I'm going to have a go at him putting this right financially - I'm not optimistic but it's worth a try. This is/was a four year old £569 Bosch, used 2-3 times a week. Obviously asking him for the full value would constitute betterment, so how much do you think would be fair to try to get out of him?

James

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Have a look on eBay, I expect you can get a faulty 4 year old dishwasher free to someone willing to collect.

That gives you a starting point for your negotiation.

There are ways to take units out of a fitted kitchen without destroying the unit or the kitchen and it doesn't have to be an end unit but I doubt your basic handyman would have the tools or knowledge to do it without causing problems

There are ways and means of doing most stuff, but for practical purposes kitchen units aren't straightforward to remove.

I was curious why you'd disagreed with my previous post, so this explanation is helpful. Ironically you've more or less agreed with my point in a roundabout way.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
if a kitchen fitter can put it together, then my trusty hammer can surely take it apart. just recently cut down a kitchen unit from a double unit around 900mm to 300mm, to accommodate a dishwasher. refitted dvider as end panel, split a door and cut and rebuilt 6" narrower.

UNG

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
There are ways and means of doing most stuff, but for practical purposes kitchen units aren't straightforward to remove.

I was curious why you'd disagreed with my previous post, so this explanation is helpful. Ironically you've more or less agreed with my point in a roundabout way.
Kitchen units are not the difficult to remove unless it is a corner unit so I have no idea why you make it sound so difficult

I did not disagree with your post I put a dislike against it there is a difference. I don't see how I agreed with you in a roundabout way by suggesting a handyman may not be best equipped to remove a kitchen cupboard

Reply to Has my dishwasher been ruined? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.