Discuss Hello :) Need a bit of help! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

johnnygreeves

Ive just got out of college at 18 and im ready to go :p I checked out the NICEIC website and was just totally lost as to what I am ment to register as :S just wondering if anyone could guide me in the right direction :)

Ive got;
-Level 3 16th-17th edition update
-Level 3 Cert. in electrical installation (thats the inspection testing & fault stuff)
-Level 2 Cert. in electrical installation (well...theres a bunch of stuff in this one)

Oh and ive done no jobs under MY name as of yet. Oh and theres chances of me being contracted now and then to companys like errm npower or bg.

so, any help as to if i have to be domestic or approved would be really great.

cya round.

johnny

i would have thought calling the NICEIC would be the best way forward. Before you do though you need to be a bit clearer about where you are going. Also I would say that if you are just out of college you really need to serve some time working for a company, full time. Also I would suggest that doing a short business course would be time well spent.

Paul

Ive just got out of college at 18 and im ready to go :p I checked out the NICEIC website and was just totally lost as to what I am ment to register as :S just wondering if anyone could guide me in the right direction :)

Ive got;
-Level 3 Cert. in electrical installation (thats the inspection testing & fault stuff)
-Level 2 Cert. in electrical installation (well...theres a bunch of stuff in this one)

Oh and ive done no jobs under MY name as of yet. Oh and theres chances of me being contracted now and then to companys like errm npower or bg.

cya round.

johnny

Get a bit of experiance before you start looking to go it alone as just being out of college and only 18 you are still have a lot to learn.

As working for companies like nPower and BG you will need to have some sort of track record with a health and safety policy and proven work record for a number of years before, they may even want to see your books to make sure you are solvent enough for them to use you as a sub contractor.

ive got a BTEC and ATT for the business side, parents accountant and gas installation engineer in his own company thats that sorted.

had a one year apprenticeship in level 2 and then was with my friends on rewires from level 3 up until late last year..i do pipeslinging now with my dads friend and im going to do a gas 2 year course and get corgied up :p merge with my father but because hes only corgi when it comes to wiring up boilers i can do it by my friend has to check&sign for a price.

Id like to be NIC so i can work in industrial, commercial and domestic and do rewires, additions to current systems/circuits and so on.

just a bit perplexed as to what the difference is between approved and domestic .

If your going to do your corgi then they will take care of any electrics associated with boilers at the same time. It sounds to me like your trying to do to much. i would go for one or the other and devote your full atension to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh right gotya :) thanks.

so with what ive got -
-Level 3 Cert. in electrical installation
-Level 2 Cert. in electrical installation

i should head for the approved contractor?

Hey.

Do you have the C&G 2391 qualification?

If not you wont get Approved contractor status as you cannot be recorded as a qulified supervisor,every company has one. Also you need at least 4 jobs to show the inspector accross the whole range of electricial installation - industrial, commercial, peroidic testing etc. Also your company needs to have been trading for at least 6 months under it's present name with all associated liability insurance (£2M).

Cheers.

Hey.

Do you have the C&G 2391 qualification?

If not you wont get Approved contractor status as you cannot be recorded as a qulified supervisor,every company has one. Also you need at least 4 jobs to show the inspector accross the whole range of electricial installation - industrial, commercial, peroidic testing etc. Also your company needs to have been trading for at least 6 months under it's present name with all associated liability insurance (£2M).

Cheers.

they will actually let u on without the 2391 but u will need to show good working knowlage and get grilled on the subject. they will want several qualified years experience too.

they will actually let u on without the 2391 but u will need to show good working knowlage and get grilled on the subject. they will want several qualified years experience too.

Even for the full approved contractor scheme????

When I had my assessment the first thing he did was check my qualifications and told me face to face that a 2391 was an absolute must.

Has this changed?? I joined about 2 years ago have they changed their standards since then??:confused:

i have the 2391 for sure but how can i trade and do 4 jobs if i need part p or ill get slammed with a fine :s n maybe jail. cant i do the work under the application being processed? if you get me

i have the 2391 for sure but how can i trade and do 4 jobs if i need part p or ill get slammed with a fine :s n maybe jail. cant i do the work under the application being processed? if you get me

You work for somebody else or do your part P building regs join the domestic installers scheme then upgrade after 6-12 months

Even for the full approved contractor scheme????

When I had my assessment the first thing he did was check my qualifications and told me face to face that a 2391 was an absolute must.

Has this changed?? I joined about 2 years ago have they changed their standards since then??:confused:

i joined 2 yrs ago too and it was the case then and assume still is. i remember reading it on some lit too.

Ive got;

cya round.

johnny
Good luck to you mate,Can't give you any advice because I'm at College myself(and I'm 43)
With your CV and balls you should be retired by the time you reach my age.
Don't let the "Old Lags" drag you down.

All the best

All the schemes i think now say that 2391 is not a requirement (which according to government requirements, it isnt) to become a domestic installer but some of them say that you have to achieve it within 6/12 months of joining.

NICEIC Approved Contractor status still requires you to have it before you apply, i think.

If you are solely doing dwellings then D.I. will be fine.

If you are going to venture into commercial and industrial then its A.C.

ive got a BTEC and ATT for the business side, parents accountant and gas installation engineer in his own company thats that sorted.

had a one year apprenticeship in level 2 and then was with my friends on rewires from level 3 up until late last year..i do pipeslinging now with my dads friend and im going to do a gas 2 year course and get corgied up :p merge with my father but because hes only corgi when it comes to wiring up boilers i can do it by my friend has to check&sign for a price.

Id like to be NIC so i can work in industrial, commercial and domestic and do rewires, additions to current systems/circuits and so on.

just a bit perplexed as to what the difference is between approved and domestic .

Hi Johnny,

Firstly I'm not NICEIC, but I will try to help.

This is how I see it, so any NICEIC boys please correct me if I am wrong!

The difference between the Domestic Installer scheme and approved contractor scheme is that the Domestic Installer (DI) has been designed with Part P of the building regulations in mind for works carried out in domestic properties (not quite sure if this includes the kitchen fitters 5 day course level or not?) However the approved contractor scheme covers you to work within Domestic Commercial and Industrial and probably twice the price.

Generally its all about the scheme backing for the work, for example I had a NICEIC DI call me not so long back to see if I could do some PIR's for him because his membership as a domestic Installer didn't include cover for PIR's and NICEIC wanted another £500 for the privilage.

Dependant on the level of your work will depend at what level you want to be in a scheme and will depend on the scheme's criteria for qualifications and skill level. So if you are just looking to do domestic then an NICEIC DI may be the right scheme? If not then approved contractor will cover the other areas of your work.

Hope this helps!

Warren

Reply to Hello :) Need a bit of help! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock