Discuss Help!! Advise needed. in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

STROKES

Hi there, i have a problem and i wondered if any of you guys might be able to help.
I got a call from my local football club and they wanted some flood lights putting in for there training ground, they had done all the groundwork and ran all the cable already, so it was just connecting up.
There are 8 lights, 400w each, daisy chained wiring, on a 10mm armoured about 60M back to DB in the dugout, the board is fed by a 16mm armoured on a 32a breaker from the clubhouse 110m away. the lights i put on a 16a MCB, when completed, i turned it on and nothing lit up. The breaker didn't trip and the wiring at the first lamp seemed to be all correct.
I'm lost can you help?
thanks

Hi there, i have a problem and i wondered if any of you guys might be able to help.
I got a call from my local football club and they wanted some flood lights putting in for there training ground, they had done all the groundwork and ran all the cable already, so it was just connecting up.
There are 8 lights, 400w each, daisy chained wiring, on a 10mm armoured about 60M back to DB in the dugout, the board is fed by a 16mm armoured on a 32a breaker from the clubhouse 110m away. the lights i put on a 16a MCB, when completed, i turned it on and nothing lit up. The breaker didn't trip and the wiring at the first lamp seemed to be all correct.
I'm lost can you help?
thanks

This sounds like a factory I worked at in North Wales doing a PIR over the whole factory which has a football team in the League of Wales.

Doing a PIR the football club house part of it was the floodlights on the pitch which had only been fitted 12 months previously.
When I got the installation certs the measured Zs was higher than the permitted for the protection device, the company was an NICEIC and it was accepted:eek::rolleyes:

So make sure it is right before you issue any certificates.

Just a consideration, but have you calculated the volt drop as in total there is 170m of cable which is a hell of a run. It probably won't affect the lights working but I would be concerned that the cable csa was large enough to cope with the volt drop.

Just a consideration, but have you calculated the volt drop as in total there is 170m of cable which is a hell of a run. It probably won't affect the lights working but I would be concerned that the cable csa was large enough to cope with the volt drop.

i doubt if volt drop is the problem ,although it is important;)
first thing to check is the supply,as wayne said :)
when youve done that maybee it will shead some light on the subject,if you excuse the pun;)
now can someone please tell me what daisy chain wiring is,is it series or parallel?:confused:
and good luck ,sounds like you need it:D

HI, its wired in parallel. sorry about the terminology. I haven't calculated the volt drop, but can't imagine its that significant is it? 10 volts maybe.

They should still work, but according to my vd calculator should be wired in 16mm to comply, @ 6.6 vd.
If the first light works, the loop off this light may not be connected correctly, loop neutral or live not connected, slipped out of terminal connection...maybe

Or at least the first leg should be wired in 16mm, I meant to say

Last edited by a moderator:
HI, its wired in parallel. sorry about the terminology. I haven't calculated the volt drop, but can't imagine its that significant is it? 10 volts maybe.

parallel so it should be:)now do you have 230v live to neutral going in and coming out of the breaker;) check that and then well go from there,ok:)

Thanks for your advise guys, i will try everything and let you know how i get on:)

Hi everyone, its sorted. the MCB was fooked, i've replaced it and its all working, wooo.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Help!! Advise needed. in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock