Discuss Help needed! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

SBlandford

Good afternoon guys.

My name is Scott Blandford and I'm writing this because I could use a hand, as I'm not that knowledgeable on matters to do with electrical work and the like. I'm currently writing an academic report for my course (Hospitality Management) and I have a couple of questions which I have no idea about and any help with them would be a huge help.

Regards
Scott

The questions are:

What colour should the outside sheathing of a PVC ring main cable be under new regulations?

Why does a TV have 3 amp cartridge fuses in its plug but an electric fan heater have a 13 amp fuse?

What would happen if you got them the wrong way around?

What should you do if an RCD covering the kitchen keeps tripping out on a busy Saturday night?

1. grey or white.
2. fuse is fitted to match the load ( amount of current drawn.
3. 3A would blow on the fan heater. 13A would not protect the tv flex in the event of a FAULT.
4. take her indoors out for a meal. call an electrician on sunday morning ( we love sunday work)

Last edited:
Cheers for the reply telectrix. On the fourth question, I meant what would you do if the RCD system kept tripping out in a commercial environment such as a restaurant kitchen? Although if it was at home I'm sure I'd take her for a curry to ease the pain :phone:

first, unplug all appliances. if that clears the fault, plug back in 1 at a time till you find the faulty appliance. if it does not clear, then all you can do is switch each breaker off and see if it's 1 particular circuit causing the tripping. then it's time to call a sparks.

There are no requirements for the colour of an outer sheath of a cable.
It can be any colour, as long as the conductors are correctly identified either by colour or by alpha numeric means.
I would question why a commercial kitchen has RCD protection.
It not a requirement of the Regulations, and to be honest, because of the damp atmosphere nuisance tripping should have been expected by the designer.

first, unplug all appliances. if that clears the fault, plug back in 1 at a time till you find the faulty appliance. if it does not clear, then all you can do is switch each breaker off and see if it's 1 particular circuit causing the tripping. then it's time to call a sparks.
well you could always wire it out for a temp.......or if you wanted to be safer then just drop out the RCD and replace with a double pole incomer.....your choice of amperage rating of course......should hold anyway......

Cheers for the reply telectrix. On the fourth question, I meant what would you do if the RCD system kept tripping out in a commercial environment such as a restaurant kitchen? Although if it was at home I'm sure I'd take her for a curry to ease the pain :phone:

on the 4th question,find a good local spark sole trader or company give him all your electrical work without without question ie 3 quotes etc,that way when your kitchen goes down on a busy night he will be there quick as to get you back up,the cost of a nights lost business and the damage to your restaurants name will be small change to the bill from the spark.

Prior to 2004 PVC 6242Y (twin & earth) cable could be sheathed in grey or white. Since then PVC 6242YH* is sheathed grey. 6242BH (twin & earth) is sheathed white, but is made from cross linked polyethylene, which has a higher resistance to temperature and doesn't give off the same noxious fumes as PVC when burned, so fares better in the event of a fire and is generally preferred in commercial environments.

*The H stands for 'Harmonised' which refers to the 'new' colours, ie brown and blue rather than the 'old' red and black.

Give them that answer and they'll KNOW you cheated!

Reply to Help needed! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock