Discuss Help on how to make the connection in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Greetings all. I have a trailer that I built that is framed like a house. What I want to do is have an rv like cord that I can unplug/ plug when I take it on the road. I have 2-2-2-4 aluminum wire that is ran underground that goes to a 100 amp breaker panel in my garage. The other end comes up from the ground next to the trailer. Inside the trailer, I have four 15 amp outlets that will be on it's own 15 amp breakers, and one 15 amp breaker for two small led shop lights. I have a 70 amp breaker panel ( not yet installed ) for the outlets and lights. What do I need to do to make the connection between the 70 amp panel and the 2-2-2-4 wire outside? I want to be able to have some kind of heavy duty cord ( about 6' long) that I can plug/ unplug when I take off on the road. I don't need to have any power in the trailer when I take off from home. This is a small 6' x 12' trailer that I've built for a mini weld shop. My welder is a Hobart Handler 140 110v welder. I'll be building a down draft welding table with a fume extractor that is a 6" duct fan that goes through the front wall to the outside. The lights, welder, and fume extractor will be running at the same time, and each device are on their own 15 amp breaker. I've talked to the sparkys at Lowe's and Home Depot, and nobody had an answer to a solution for me. I thought of installing an outdoor 100 amp panel on a post outside and wiring in a 50- (70?) amp female ended rv cord off of the outdoor panel that would plug into a male ended rv cord that's wired into the breaker panel inside of the trailer. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Greetings all. I have a trailer that I built that is framed like a house. What I want to do is have an rv like cord that I can unplug/ plug when I take it on the road. I have 2-2-2-4 aluminum wire that is ran underground that goes to a 100 amp breaker panel in my garage. The other end comes up from the ground next to the trailer. Inside the trailer, I have four 15 amp outlets that will be on it's own 15 amp breakers, and one 15 amp breaker for two small led shop lights. I have a 70 amp breaker panel ( not yet installed ) for the outlets and lights. What do I need to do to make the connection between the 70 amp panel and the 2-2-2-4 wire outside? I want to be able to have some kind of heavy duty cord ( about 6' long) that I can plug/ unplug when I take off on the road. I don't need to have any power in the trailer when I take off from home. This is a small 6' x 12' trailer that I've built for a mini weld shop. My welder is a Hobart Handler 140 110v welder. I'll be building a down draft welding table with a fume extractor that is a 6" duct fan that goes through the front wall to the outside. The lights, welder, and fume extractor will be running at the same time, and each device are on their own 15 amp breaker. I've talked to the sparkys at Lowe's and Home Depot, and nobody had an answer to a solution for me. I thought of installing an outdoor 100 amp panel on a post outside and wiring in a 50- (70?) amp female ended rv cord off of the outdoor panel that would plug into a male ended rv cord that's wired into the breaker panel inside of the trailer. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
FFFPatriot you can go to your local RV dealership and buy a 50 amp 240 vac 4 wire male plug disconnect and a 240vac 4 wire female plug which is designed for outdoor use and mount the disconnect to your trailer outside. The wire you need is 8/3 with ground romex which can be bought at Home Depot or Lowe’s and it is approved for outdoor use. Wire the 50 amp Disconnect you bought to your panel inside your trailer. You will need to purchase a 6x6x4 PVC box and mount it on an approved piece of wood or something close to your trailer and bring the # 2 aluminum inside the box and splice the # 2 aluminum to the 8/3 with ground and plug up your trailer

Thanks a ton, Megawatt! I was wondering if it was safe to splice the aluminum wire which is hooked up to 100 watts in the garage, to the 8/3 wire that will be going to 50 amps. I didn't know that I could reduce it down without risking burning something up.

Thanks a ton, Megawatt! I was wondering if it was safe to splice the aluminum wire which is hooked up to 100 watts in the garage, to the 8/3 wire that will be going to 50 amps. I didn't know that I could reduce it down without risking burning something up.
Glad to help my friend and sorry for the delay in communication but if you need anymore advice let me know. Just install a 60 amp panel in you trailer. Good luck and Merry Christmas

#2 AL is not suitable for 100A in your situation, only 90A, and 8/3 is 40A, as to flexible connections, the 50A CS locking devices used on spider boxes on construction sites would do well since flanged inlets, outlets, plugs, & connectors are available but not cheap.

Here is a link to a CS type 50A 125/250V connector as used on construction sites.

#2 AL is not suitable for 100A in your situation, only 90A, and 8/3 is 40A, as to flexible connections, the 50A CS locking devices used on spider boxes on construction sites would do well since flanged inlets, outlets, plugs, & connectors are available but not cheap.

Here is a link to a CS type 50A 125/250V connector as used on construction sites.

Soooo...Will what Megawatt explained work in my situation? The #2 aluminum wire thats wired into the garage circuit panel carrying 100 amps that's coming out of the ground won't work? Now I'm getting a little confused. Can I wire in the 50 amp twist plug into a 60 amp panel on the trailer and splice in the opposite 50 amp twist plug in a box with connectors to the four aluminum #2 wires? Sorry about the confusion on my end.
[automerge]1577293442[/automerge]
Soooo...Will what Megawatt explained work in my situation? The #2 aluminum wire thats wired into the garage circuit panel carrying 100 amps that's coming out of the ground won't work? Now I'm getting a little confused. Can I wire in the 50 amp twist plug into a 60 amp panel on the trailer and splice in the opposite 50 amp twist plug in a box with connectors to the four aluminum #2 wires? Sorry about the confusion on my end.

The shorter question is, can I safely splice into butt connectors the four #2 aluminum wires into a female ended 50 amp twist lock spider box plug? Thanks for bearing with me.

Last edited:
[automerge]1577293442[/automerge]

The shorter question is, can I safely splice into butt connectors the four #2 aluminum wires into a female ended 50 amp twist lock spider box plug? Thanks for bearing with me.
You don’t use but splices use compatible split bolts used for copper and aluminum

Thanks Megawatt. I'm going to run out into town and pick up the good tomorrow morning and work on it in the afternoon. I'll definitely give you a shout if I get in a pickle. Merry Christmas friend!
When you say 100 amp breaker are you talking about the main breaker or a separate breaker if separate please purchase a 50 amp 240vac double pole breaker in the main panel

When you say 100 amp breaker are you talking about the main breaker or a separate breaker if separate please purchase a 50 amp 240vac double pole breaker in the main panel
The 2-2-2-4 aluminum wire is currently wired into the 100 amp breaker panel in my garage on the bus bars. This same wire that I want to use for this new trailer I just built, used to power a previous trailer shop that I had, feeding a 125 amp panel. The wire wasn't wired into a breaker in the panel in the garage. It's wired onto the bus bars.
Does this still sound like a go?

Can I hook up the 2-2-2-4 wire to this?
That’s what you want to mount to your trailer and the wire is to big to fit in the lugs. That’s why I wanted you to splice the wires in a 6x6x4 PVC box and what about the breaker. Can you put it on a 50 amp breaker in your panel. If you can’t its not going to give problems because you will have the trailer panel that you need to terminate your receptacle on a 50 amp breaker
[automerge]1577368494[/automerge]
The 2-2-2-4 aluminum wire is currently wired into the 100 amp breaker panel in my garage on the bus bars. This same wire that I want to use for this new trailer I just built, used to power a previous trailer shop that I had, feeding a 125 amp panel. The wire wasn't wired into a breaker in the panel in the garage. It's wired onto the bus bars.
Does this still sound like a go?
No you have to have a breaker to do this job. Please install a 50 amp breaker in your panel
[automerge]1577369857[/automerge]
That’s what you want to mount to your trailer and the wire is to big to fit in the lugs. That’s why I wanted you to splice the wires in a 6x6x4 PVC box and what about the breaker. Can you put it on a 50 amp breaker in your panel. If you can’t its not going to give problems because you will have the trailer panel that you need to terminate your receptacle on a 50 amp breaker

No you have to have a breaker to do this job. Please install a 50 amp breaker in your panel
I want to help you do the right way and from what you told me, you have no way to cut it off without a breaker and that’s a code violation. I did not know that it was bolted to the buss. PLEASE install a 50 amp 240vac double pole breaker in your panel and then you will be legal. Thank you and I’m sorry for the confusion. Electrical Kills and blows up.

Last edited:

[automerge]1577369857[/automerge]

I want to help you do the right way and from what you told me, you have no way to cut it off without a breaker and that’s a code violation. I did not know that it was bolted to the buss. PLEASE install a 50 amp 240vac double pole breaker in your panel and then you will be legal. Thank you and I’m sorry for the confusion. Electrical Kills and blows up.

Okay, lets slowly take it from the top. The aluminum wires that are mounted to the buss bar in the panel in the garage need to be mounted to a 50 amp breaker instead, to be able to cut power to the outlet that the trailer will be plugged into, am I correct so far? Then the other end of the aluminum wires will go into the pvc box.
A 60 amp panel will be mounted inside the trailer. 8/3 with ground wire will be wired into the 60 amp panel and have a male end on it that will plug into a female end plug connected to the aluminum wire.
I'm a little fuzzy on the latter. I thought the picture I posted would be the ticket. I read the Q&As on it and somebody said they used it with the same wire I'm going to use.
Sorry for all this mis knowledge on my part and I really appreciate you walking through this with me.

Okay, lets slowly take it from the top. The aluminum wires that are mounted to the buss bar in the panel in the garage need to be mounted to a 50 amp breaker instead, to be able to cut power to the outlet that the trailer will be plugged into, am I correct so far? Then the other end of the aluminum wires will go into the pvc box.
A 60 amp panel will be mounted inside the trailer. 8/3 with ground wire will be wired into the 60 amp panel and have a male end on it that will plug into a female end plug connected to the aluminum wire.
I'm a little fuzzy on the latter. I thought the picture I posted would be the ticket. I read the Q&As on it and somebody said they used it with the same wire I'm going to use.
Sorry for all this mis knowledge on my part and I really appreciate you walking through this with me.
You are right up to the receptacle you mount on the trailer, it has to be wired to the panel you are installing inside the trailer because that will be your power to the whole trailers 60 amp panel and your disconnect will be when you unplug your receptacle. I know it’s a lot to take in but you seem to have it right and I hope what I just told you
[automerge]1577389772[/automerge]
You are right up to the receptacle you mount on the trailer, it has to be wired to the panel you are installing inside the trailer because that will be your power to the whole trailers 60 amp panel and your disconnect will be when you unplug your receptacle. I know it’s a lot to take in but you seem to have it right and I hope what I just told you

When you splice the # 2. Aluminum to the 8/3 with ground in the box you will be making a whip that goes from the PVC box to the outside outlet which will be 8/3 to plug in the receptacle you showed me was the right one and it has to be wired to the panel so when you plug it into the receptacle your trailer will have power

Last edited:

Reply to Help on how to make the connection in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net