Discuss High PFC in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

eckersecker

I came a high PFC in a domestic installation a few weeks ago and the consensus on the forum was that it was ok because the main fuse was rated at 33KA so the mcbs (rated at 6KA) would be ok.

Came across similar situation in factory. A PIR had been carried out by another company and I was asked to check out the code 1 and 2s. One of the faults was high PFC at a DB. If there is a fused breaker upstream capable of taking the PFC does this make the DB ok?

Totally agree with the above..

I always measure the PFC at the origin whilst doing Ze reading, then make sure all mcb's in DB have a high enough rating stated on them.

Totally agree with the above..

I always measure the PFC at the origin whilst doing Ze reading, then make sure all mcb's in DB have a high enough rating stated on them.
so what do you do when the PSCC is over the 6kA rating of the MCBs? they would only have to take that magnitude of fault current if the fault was close to the MCB. circuit resistance would reduce the value the further from the MCB. it's mainly the kA rating of the OCPD at source that needs to withstand the PSCC at source.

As an example, the only real occasions i have stipulated high breaking capacity MCB breakers, is at Final circuit DBs within sub-station rooms, or just outside such locations where the TX's that are supplying the DB are present.... Depending on the KVA size of the TX, determines what breaking capacity i would stipulate for the final circuit MCBs.... And that could be up to 22KA ...lol!!

"they would only have to take that magnitude of fault current if the fault was close to the MCB."

Fully understand what you are saying regarding circuit resistance reducing the PSCC the further away from the DB..... but.... your sentence quoted above mentioned the IF word. I would always plan and design a circuit to be safe at its worst case scenario. So if a fault DID occur very close to the MCB, it would do its job as it should.

Last edited by a moderator:
CUs are type tested, and rated at 16.5kA, even though they contain devices rated at 3kA, 6kA or even 10kA.
DBs are not necessarily type tested, and are often only rated as per the installed devices.
It is possible to obtain MCBs rated at 10kA and even 15kA, otherwise some method will have to be used to limit the PFC, perhaps a switch fuse installed between the cut-out and the DB.

i had a disccustion with NICEIC technical about this last week answer was as some have mentioned above, for example the PFC at the socket below D/B is 9 ka you would need to use for example a 10 ka mcb, if there was a socket installed say 30m away from the D/B and the PFC at this socket was 4 ka then a 6KA would be suffice of this this circuit. this was the explination given to me i hope it helps.

Just swap a bit of the earth wire with a paperclip, that will up your Zs to a safe level. Make sure you use a good brand paperclip as safety is always paramount.

CUs are type tested, and rated at 16.5kA, even though they contain devices rated at 3kA, 6kA or even 10kA.
DBs are not necessarily type tested, and are often only rated as per the installed devices.
It is possible to obtain MCBs rated at 10kA and even 15kA, otherwise some method will have to be used to limit the PFC, perhaps a switch fuse installed between the cut-out and the DB.

MG and other up market manufacturers, have quite an extensive ranges of 22KA or more rated MCBs. As you say DB's are normally site built affairs, with either an isolator or MCCB as the main switch. If installing a DB in a sub-station, you would need to check the breaking capacity and let-through of the supplying breaker at main switchboard, to decide on what if any, protection is required at the Final circuit DB....

Reply to High PFC in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock