Discuss Hottub problem over heated plug in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Bappibear

EF
DIY
Reaction score
I also have a hottub mines the lay-z-spa paris specs say voltage 220-240V ~ 50Hz, 2050W at 20°C.
I fixed the melted plug my fault used on a thick camping cable plugged into mains in house. so now doing the job properly.

I have fitted a double ip67 waterproof socket on the outside of my shed with the twin & earth cable going into the shed with a double socket.
In the house the lounge has 4 double sockets on a dedicated ring main, 32a rcd, what i would like to do is split the ring at the nearest point which is less than a couple of mtrs away from the shed. Run a 2.5mtr cable into the shed add 2 extra double sockets plus the outside one and then run a 2.5mtr cable back to the house thus reconnecting the ring main. one of those sets of wires coming back into the house would need to be joined together, would crimping be better or choc block??

Q/Whwew have yoi taken the supply to the IP rated socket from, I'm guessing you have spurred it from the RFC in the house correct?

i havent done yet but i have checked both sides of the socket cables and both are live when seperated so thats why i know its a ring and that goes back to the main house fuse box with the 32a rcd. But yes i want to run from 1 of those 2 cables and come back into the other to complete the ring into the shed

Q/Whwew have yoi taken the supply to the IP rated socket from, I'm guessing you have spurred it from the RFC in the house correct?
think from his post, he's extending the rfc.
then run a 2.5mtr cable back to the house thus reconnecting the ring main. one of those sets of wires coming back into the house would need to be joined together,

think from his post, he's extending the rfc.
then run a 2.5mtr cable back to the house thus reconnecting the ring main. one of those sets of wires coming back into the house would need to be joined together,
thats exactly what i want to do but can i crimp the2 wires together on 1 side of the ring coming back into the house or should i put in a choc block

If the connection is available for inspection(as it is if it is in a socket box)then either connector blocks or crimping or soldering is acceptable
Your plan seems well considered

If the connection is available for inspection(as it is if it is in a socket box)then either connector blocks or crimping or soldering is acceptable
Your plan seems well considered
Thank you Des i wanted reasurance i was doing the right thing before i started as used to do lots of wiring when i was young and fit but not so much nowadays altho i try and keep up with wiring regs.

use wagos or ideal in line butt connectors. lik here:

Attachments

• Hottub problem over heated plug rfcextend - EletriciansForums.net
    rfcextend.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
Ohhh boy they look nice and neat different from what i had to work with years ago thanks all will go and pick some up and get the job sorted
Thank you all for your inputs

i havent done yet but i have checked both sides of the socket cables and both are live when seperated so thats why i know its a ring and that goes back to the main house fuse box with the 32a rcd. But yes i want to run from 1 of those 2 cables and come back into the other to complete the ring into the shed
Just a point to remember Bappibear regarding Regulations regarding RFCs:
1 location of sockets to provide reasonable sharing of the loads around the Ring.
2 not supplying Immersion heaters, comprehensive electric space heating or loads of similar profile from the ring circuit.
3 connecting cookers. ovens and hobs with a rating exceeding 2kW on their own dedicated radial circuit.
I guess your Hot Tub of 2.05kW may fall under number 2, and whilst your method of test that it is a RFC may be right, it's not the recommned method just saying.

Just a point to remember Bappibear regarding Regulations regarding RFCs:
1 location of sockets to provide reasonable sharing of the loads around the Ring.
2 not supplying Immersion heaters, comprehensive electric space heating or loads of similar profile from the ring circuit.
3 connecting cookers. ovens and hobs with a rating exceeding 2kW on their own dedicated radial circuit.
I guess your Hot Tub of 2.05kW may fall under number 2, and whilst your method of test that it is a RFC may be right, it's not the recommned method just saying.
there is no immersion heaters or any sort of heating on that ring its literally sockets and from what i can tell theres 1 double in the hall and 3 in the lounge. pic of main fuse box to show whats there.
the hot tub runs on a standard 13a plug and has an ip67 rated circuit breaker inline as standard so that should be covered under option 1

Attachments

• Hottub problem over heated plug 20190827_133114[1] - EletriciansForums.net
    20190827_133114[1].jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 20
there is no immersion heaters or any sort of heating on that ring its literally sockets and from what i can tell theres 1 double in the hall and 3 in the lounge. pic of main fuse box to show whats there.
How is the Hot Tub heated? you mentioned a load of 2050kW?

Last edited:
How is the Hot Tub heated?
its all in 1 as we call it the EGG does the heating and air pump the load mentioned is whats in the specs on their web site for this spa

Attachments

• Hottub problem over heated plug b-bwp4h054gbass1-replacement-spa-heater-grey-1 - EletriciansForums.net
    b-bwp4h054gbass1-replacement-spa-heater-grey-1.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Hottub problem over heated plug b-bwp4h054gbass1-replacement-spa-heater-grey-2 - EletriciansForums.net
    b-bwp4h054gbass1-replacement-spa-heater-grey-2.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 9
the hot tub runs on a standard 13a plug and has an ip67 rated circuit breaker inline as standard so that should be covered under option 1
Washing machine and dishwasher on separate circuits. I like.

Up front RCD. don’t like, but when it was installed it would have met current regs at the time so you don’t have to do anything.

However in the event of a fault you will loose all your homes circuits if the RCD trips. We now have to design installations so that if a fault occurs minimal disruption the the installation occurs.
Sorry got a bit sidetracked to the post you are on. The above is not strictly a safety issue.

The different colour wagos are different makes. I would use the yellow ones as they are rates to 24A I think. Not sure about the red ones are rated at.

its all in 1 as we call it the EGG does the heating and air pump the load mentioned is whats in the specs on their web site for this spa
Never the less something of that loading, in my opinion ought to be wired on it's own Radial circuit, others may Poo Poo my reasoning, I have never had overheated circuits before, using my method, so I stand by that. Again in my opinion joining circuits if that nature with crimps or Wagos, will only compound the problems of overheating, but each has their own opinions and if it works for them then that's their take on the situation. I'll say no more.

Found them.
The other red conn3ctors are “in sure” push in wire connectors. Different make of push fit connector to wago. Couldn’t find rating.

I was called out to a couple who had bought a Dimplex heater 3kw on a plug. The plug was getting hot. Very hot.

I informed customer there was nothing wrong with plug. Nothing wrong with socket, nothing wrong with heater.

But in my opinion any appliance greater than 2 kw should not be on @ plug and should be har£ wired on a separate circuit. I actually believe this product is dangerous, but I couldn5 say that as I didn’t wan5 to be done for liable from the manufacturers.

I would put all these hot tubs above 2kw in this category.
The plugs are going to get hot and potentially melt and....

Never the less something of that loading, in my opinion ought to be wired on it's own Radial circuit, others may Poo Poo my reasoning, I have never had overheated circuits before, using my method, so I stand by that. Again in my opinion joining circuits if that nature with crimps or Wagos, will only compound the problems of overheating, but each has their own opinions and if it works for them then that's their take on the situation. I'll say no more.
Thanks Pete i take in all you said and understand your reasonings but to do this i would need around 26mtrs of armour cable with glands a black terminal block for inside the meter box and metal box inside the shed + possibly a metal pole to bring the cable down into the shed as thats the only way possible to do it on its own seperate supply and to my way of thinking a black cable pinned in place across the front of a building looks ugly. just my opinion tho.

I was called out to a couple who had bought a Dimplex heater 3kw on a plug. The plug was getting hot. Very hot.

I informed customer there was nothing wrong with plug. Nothing wrong with socket, nothing wrong with heater.

But in my opinion any appliance greater than 2 kw should not be on @ plug and should be har£ wired on a separate circuit. I actually believe this product is dangerous, but I couldn5 say that as I didn’t wan5 to be done for liable from the manufacturers.

I would put all these hot tubs above 2kw in this category.
The plugs are going to get hot and potentially melt and....
totally agree with you which is why i was making a ring into the shed as i think this option has less resistance and therefore is safer i can always cut the plug off and hard wire into the double socket inside the shed doing away with the outdoor socket. but im not so sure this is needed i may be wrong tho

Reply to Hottub problem over heated plug in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock