Discuss How can I test a fusible link? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have several 14 gauge fusible links. How can I test these? I would like to know at what point the wire will fail so that it can protect the wiring harness.

5550px1__55924.1262409387.380.500.jpg

Fuses of any sort do not have a single blowing pint. You have a curve of current-time where you can look and see at a given level how long it takes to blow.

Generally once you get over several minutes it is quite environment-dependant as to heat escaping versus reaching melting point. As the fusible wire heats up its resistance increases, further increasing the I2R heating (assuming fuse R is much lower than total circuit R) and so accelerating the process. As a result fuses show a rapid decrease in fusing time as the current increases.

But to answer your question, typically to measure a fuse you would subject it to a known overload, say 2-5 times its rated current, and then time how long it takes to blow and compare that to the expected characteristics. Since fuses are one-time items it becomes expensive to properly characterise them!

So usually you want to know the maximum continuous current, that is usually below the acting point by a factor of 1.45 for the likes of BS88 high rupture capacity fuses, and about a factor of 2 for old open-wire style fuses. However, the acting point can be many hours!

In terms of selecting a fuse compared to a cable there are a lot of factors to consider, mostly how well the cable is thermally insulated and the sort of overload events that might occur. But a quick search for automotive fusible links suggests 4 AWG steps down (i.e. your 14 gauge link is for protecting 10 gauge wire).

Here is a typical set of curves for a HRC fuse, you can see that a 1A fuse needs about 2A to blow in 5 minutes and about 2.6A to blow in 1 second, whereas a 10A fuse is also about 20A for 5 minuts (same x2 factor) but needs about 45A to blow in 1s:
10x38-fuse-time-curves.png

Last edited:
That picture does not look like it has any fuse in it, are you sure it’s not just a wire link?

As with fuses, Circuit breakers etc there will be a manufacturers rating for any sized fuseable link.
A quick google shows that generally a fuseable link 4 numbers higher that the wire size is the ususal protection.

So a 14gauge fuseable link would be used to protect a 10gauge wire, just as you'd use a thinner piece of fuse wire to protect a cable.
For those not familiar with AWG sizes, the larger the the number the smaller the wire.

Thank you for the detailed replies.

Does the length of the fusible link have any impact on its rating for protection?

Is that definitely a fusible link? Looks like normal stranded wire with a through-crimp. You can see the awg marking on the wire.

Reply to How can I test a fusible link? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net