Discuss How to qualify for an ECS gold card in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All
I have eventually got round to applying for my ECS card. just a little background about myself.
I started my apprentice when I left school in 1970.
i have been in the game al my life, got my apprentiship deeds, 17 edition, 2391. worked on every aspect of the electrical systems throughout my working life.
I ae ben a member of Napit for 5 yrs.
1 took my ecs test, passed no problem. sent my fee off with all my document's only to be told I haven't got the correct qualification's, I couldn't believe it.
Oh by the way I am nearly62 now.
does any on know what I have to do ??

Hi All
I have eventually got round to applying for my ECS card. just a little background about myself.
I started my apprentice when I left school in 1970.
i have been in the game al my life, got my apprentiship deeds, 17 edition, 2391. worked on every aspect of the electrical systems throughout my working life.
I ae ben a member of Napit for 5 yrs.
1 took my ecs test, passed no problem. sent my fee off with all my document's only to be told I haven't got the correct qualification's, I couldn't believe it.
Oh by the way I am nearly62 now.
does any on know what I have to do ??

contest it! Did they say you don't have an nvq3 by any chance? You shouldn't need it as it didn't exist when you qualified.

If you need your ECS to get onsites, the easy way around this is do your CSCS test and get a labours card, this is the most popular route when us sparks don't have the NVQ3.

Most sites don's check which is which and don't really know the difference or what the ECS card is!

If you need your ECS to get onsites, the easy way around this is do your CSCS test and get a labours card, this is the most popular route when us sparks don't have the NVQ3.

Most sites don's check which is which and don't really know the difference or what the ECS card is!

A valid option, but surely not one that does justice to the OP!

I would object to the refusal to issue a suitable grade in this instance. Why should the OP have to jump through the hoops of the current system when he fulfilled the former requirements of the old one?

A valid option, but surely not one that does justice to the OP!

I would object to the refusal to issue a suitable grade in this instance. Why should the OP have to jump through the hoops of the current system when he fulfilled the former requirements of the old one?

I agree with what you have said, but I am in the same situation and this

I have had to get a green CSCS card till I complete the NVQ3

Hi George I know this thread is a few hours old, but if you come back to it then hope this helps.

With your Quals you will get the gold installation card and if they don't give you that then as Lee said kick up. Your in the south the JIB offices have moved from Sidcup and are now

Unit 2, White Oak Square, Pioneer Way, London Road, Swanley BR8 7AG Telephone [FONT=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]0333 321 8230[/FONT]

[FONT=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]If you were applying for an Approved card then though you have all the Quals you will still need a letter either from a former employer or a sponsor indicating that you have been in some sort of testing/supervisory role to get the approved card [/FONT]

George, I understand your frustration and position on this but unfortunately JIB/ECS make it very clear that you need an NVQ3.

i appreciate what you have is worth a lot more than an NVQ, but I suppose they enforce it so that everyone has done a current recognised qualification, I'm not suggesting you or anyone else on here is a cowboy who has been a spark for more years than I am old, but I know of a couple of old timers who are sparks who are so out of touch with modern stuff and have never updated anything etc, would I give them a gold card? Probably not as I know they are out of touch.

i think it's just one way of saying if you have a Gold Approved electrician card, you have got an NVQ3.

George, I understand your frustration and position on this but unfortunately JIB/ECS make it very clear that you need an NVQ3.

i appreciate what you have is worth a lot more than an NVQ, but I suppose they enforce it so that everyone has done a current recognised qualification, I'm not suggesting you or anyone else on here is a cowboy who has been a spark for more years than I am old, but I know of a couple of old timers who are sparks who are so out of touch with modern stuff and have never updated anything etc, would I give them a gold card? Probably not as I know they are out of touch.

i think it's just one way of saying if you have a Gold Approved electrician card, you have got an NVQ3.

If George completed a full apprenticeship pre NVQ3 era and has 17th edition 2382 then he is entitled to a gold card of installation electrician.

I agree, I'm not suggesting he isn't, all I was saying was if they say you need an NVQ, that's the rules.

My business partner qualified 1989, he has 236 both parts, 17th regs, no NVQ3. He applied for a graded card last year and they sent him a white card with labourer or the like on it, phoned up the jib who said he needed an nvq3. After explaining that the nvq 3 didn't exist when he completed his apprenticeship etc they re issued him with a gold installation electricians card.

Last edited:
Just looking at the apication form, maybe they have made a mistake, or you didn't provide exactly what was asked?

Qualifications for training completed before 1st January 1994
You probably followed an apprenticeship training programme. In which case you will need to provide the finalApprenticeship Deeds or Apprentice Completion Certificate, as indicated above.
If you are not able to provide the final apprenticeship certification, or you only have the technical theory certificates,you will need to meet the requirements of the mature candidate assessment route to demonstrate your industrycompetence.
The mature candidate route has been specifically designed for practicing electricians to demonstrate theircompetence and experience from the work place.

My business partner qualified 1989, he has 236 both parts, 17th regs, no NVQ3. He applied for a graded card last year and they sent him a white card with labourer or the like on it, phoned up the jib who said he needed an nvq3. After explaining that the nvq 3 didn't exist when he completed his apprenticeship etc they re issued him with a gold installation electricians card.

I can only see myself as lucky I got an approved electrician card first time.

Write to customer services recorded delivery stating exactly what you have said on this thread.
It will go before an assessment panel who have the common sense to put this right for you.
I have been there and worn the same T shirt.
I think its still refferred to as grandfather rights.
I have gold approved and site managers cards with no NVQs to my name.
They simply didn't exist back then.
But you were time served.

Reply to How to qualify for an ECS gold card in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock