Discuss How to Tackle Smug Smeg Help Please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
And the 1st thing I see is Smeg cooker tripping randomly.
So Here's My Issue Have Spent Numerous hours trying to talk to someone at Smug Smeg, Only to be directed to another dept of Smeg And yet another.
So the Issue, approx every 8 to 10 months . Oven rarely set to as high as 220. Normally Highest 180. I'll refer only to last incident , save boring everyone. Batch of Yorkshire puddings , Set at 180. Before puddings finish cooking, Pyro Light and Beeper start up Pyro and Oven Light Alternately Flasing , Oven Heater switches Off Cooling Fan comes on.
Cooking is Binned.. When oven cooled one can resume cooking.
1st event Happened Just outside Warranty. We ignored , Thinking maybe our power supply , Which is a bit up and down , (ranges anywhere between 246 and 256 Volts. and not infrequently 0V)
2nd event . Smeg kindly agreed a Free service , as they couldnt explain the above.
Smeg engineer arrived. He had no idea, rang someone higher up the chain who suggested maybe the relay board might be problem. Relay board swapped out. Lets keep our fingers crossed. No charge made.
3rd event, Called Smeg engineer, We are all mystified. Perhaps its the Micro switch assembly LH of Door integrated with lock Mechanism, and brings on Pyro Light.
Fingers Crossed. Paid Approx ÂŁ200 .
4th Event. I refer to above last incident. Contacted same Local Smeg And said Im not happy if we have to keep shelling out ÂŁ200 each time this happens. There response was well we've repaired it twice now warranty, is only 6 months.
I now need to reach higher. Its taken nearly 6 weeks of phone calls. to smeg people , all Im asking is what is happening. Al saying Cant do anything out of warranty.,
Last Smeg Engineer I Spoke to , Friend of a friend. gave me a phone No. In the meantime I'd had online chat with young lady, who was most sympathetic, and promised the top engineers would come back with a response. Nothing. I used the phone No I was given, Another charming young lady, Took back my woeful story, and came back with the following.
The Oven is supposed to do that , Its when the oven over heats. So the flashing lights are a warning, Its all to with safety, And is built to specification.
1st thing No other Smeg engineer knew this , nor could find this out.
Wifes Yorkshire Puds set at 180. Not in oven long enough to cook. Because oven overheated.
There is a setting on Oven Switch for max 280. who would dare use it.
Pyrolysis can be up to 500 c for 3 hours..
Im thinking Possibly Ventilation . A faulty Dare I say Oven Temperature Controller. I believe might be called a thermostat. Having said that presumably the Yorkshire puds would have been, A bit on the crisp side.. Incidentally ,
I am a qualified sparky, and ran my own security service and installation business for 30 yrs, till i retired.
I should be able to cope with this. But have to admit I'm struggling. Help please. Ken

If it only happens when cooking yorkshire puddings, I'd find another way to cook them?

On a serious note, I'm never a fan of replacing parts randomly which Smeg seem to be doing. I'd be putting the ball back in their court over this one. Have the previous issues been linked to the extreme weather, this weekend has been torrid and I've had numerous issues to sort out, mostly to do with central heating programmers and most I've been able to sort over the phone with the simple pressing of a reset button.

Putting the ball in there court is precisely what I've been trying to do. Re Yorkshire puds was only the latest incident. Previous was a dinner party event. Meal ruined. Agree Yorkshire puds are horrible when not cooked.

answer...... don't buy overpriced, underperforming , smeg. we have a toaster that blew MCB with a huge bang. spare part unobtainable. toaster now in bin.

Well my final throw of the dice. Might be ebay it world wide. With a full description. Agree action re toaster. But this oven now retails for about ÂŁ1.7 K
we have these in our kitchen.....

1. ariston stainless steel double oven, built in. collected as scrap from a customer who'd had new,
2. kennwood stainless gas hob. as above.
3. 1kW combi oven microwave, bought from car boot 12 years ago for ÂŁ8.
3. LG> American style fridge freezer . couple of small dents. also collected as free to first man with a van.
4. bosch dishwasher, fitted new in 1997. gets used only xmas or if 'er indoors has a broken arm.

yorkshire puds are OK if cooked right and filled with brandy enriched gravy. otherwise lad packs the into fishing bait box.

Your contract is with the supplier not the manufacturer, you need to forget the warranty and quote the consumer rights acts 2015, which states good must be satisfactory quality , fit for purpose and last a reasonable amount of time, the amount of time is related to how much money you payed for it, but the contract is with who you paid you money too.

Your contract is with the supplier not the manufacturer, you need to forget the warranty and quote the consumer rights acts 2015, which states good must be satisfactory quality , fit for purpose and last a reasonable amount of time, the amount of time is related to how much money you payed for it, but the contract is with who you paid you money too.
Thank you New. That clarifies a legal position .and I'm grateful. However repairs since. Whith whom I have a contract. Have not repaired oven. Smeg top dogs saying its doing what it supposed to do. I don't believe it is. I'm now looking at temperature probe. Maybe a bit iffy. Ken

Thinking maybe my 1st post was too much information.
watched an episode of emmerdale (bymistake, remotewas under cushion).there's yorkshire puddings for you. too much make-up, can't act, just gossip screechers. bring back Amos and Seth.

Reply to How to Tackle Smug Smeg Help Please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net