Discuss I'd forgotton how miserable it is. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Marvo

-
Staff member
Mod
Mentor
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
Started getting sick on Tuesday last week and I thought it was just one of the normal bugs that go around when winter starts arriving.

By Wednesday I had a scratchy throat and felt shivery but I soldiered on.

Thursday I felt pretty shyte, I had a headache all day, the throat got more painful and the aching/shivers got worse. I didn't eat all day.

Friday I was taking two different painkillers for the throat, a combination of asprin and parcetamol for the fever but managed to finish the day at work (only just). Nil by mouth all day.

Saturday I was dreading every time I had to swallow even with painkillers, felt really bad and spent the whole day in bed. Still no appetite.

Sunday ...for the first time ever I was wishing Sunday was Monday because the Doctors surgery would be open. Spent all day in a state somewhere between sleep and coma. I suggested to wifey maybe I should head to the hospital casualty but she suggested that it might be a bit overkill for 'man-flu' as she called it.

Monday early hours of the morning my throat was so sore I couldnt even sleep with morphine based painkillers plus asprin plus paracetamol. The last time I'd had food of any type was the previous wednesday so I was not in a good way, also getting signs of dehydration probably because of the constant cold sweats. 6am I self medicated and headed to the Doctors surgery to be the first in line when they arrived at 8AM for work. Thankfully it's less than a kilometer and I managed to drive there and park right at the door. I remember arriving there and thinking I'll just sleep in the car till they get here, next thing I know it's 10am and I wake up in the surgery clinic in a bed with several IV bags running into my arm.

Thankfully after treatment at the Doctors and two days of antibiotics and various other medications I was well enough to eat again. Today I'm almost symptom free but I can still feel my throat a bit when I swallow although it's not painful as such. I'm toying with the idea of going back to work tomorrow.

This is possibly the sickest I've ever been, I haven't even been properly sick for maybe 20 years but I'd forgotten how thoroughly miserable it is being sick. I guess the moral of the story would be don't put it off too long going to the Doctor, the first 3 or 4 days I was determined not to be a girls blouse and go to the Doc for a cold.... a few days later I regretted my decisions.

What was the prognosis?
We are always quick to tell everyone else to get to the doctors but when it comes to ourselves it’s a different story.
Apparently, at 40 yrs old we are supposed to go to the doctors and get a full top to toe inside out and back to front mot.. 3 years later and I’m still toying with the idea, none of my mates know about this but it is an actual thing that we are all supposed to do..

Glad to hear that you are back on your feet and doing well..
Out of interest what is your lifestyle like? Diet, drink, etc?
Most of my ailments seem to come from bloody kids passing stuff onto me from other snotty nosed little urchins

Glad to hear that you recovered. Was about to start slagging off access to health services but see that you are in South Africa. Are there no services available at weekends?

Not fun being ill.
Glad you have recovered from your "man flu"!
Soldiering on is often the worst thing for recovery but very tempting to do.

Glad you are feeling better mate sounded like a severe bout of something nasty. I've had a bit of a cold this week so feel your pain:D

What was the prognosis?
The diagnosis was flu with strep throat, the prognosis is full recovery within 7 days of starting antibiotics.

Out of interest what is your lifestyle like? Diet, drink, etc?
Life style is active, fitness is average, diet is mixed but nor particularly good or bad, I don't drink but I smoke a pack a day.

Glad to hear that you recovered. Was about to start slagging off access to health services but see that you are in South Africa. Are there no services available at weekends?
General Doctors surgeries and local clinics are closed over the weekend here. All hospital casualty departments are open 24 hrs 7 days a week so if you're suddenly sick over a weekend you go to a hospital or phone an ambulance to take you there.

I live far out in the suburbs about 45 minutes drive to the city centre of Cape Town so the options are a bit limited unless you make a 20 minute drive back towards civilisation.

I kicked my 40 year smoking habit 18 months ago so I want to know Marvo did you still try to smoke. I know I did, have had terrible chest infections made worse by asthma and still tried to smoke nearly killing myself.

Very glad that you're ok Marvo. The bit about falling asleep in the car and waking up in surgery is just a little scary. But at least you woke up! I haven't been ill for ages, no headaches, sore throats, fevers etc etc for years..... I'd quite like a duvet day, but not on your scale!

I've often thought it odd how women seem to spend half their lives at the doctors*yet belittle male illness as 'man flu. I think it's some image aversion to being the centre of the frikkin universe.

*Gov stats reveal that women visit the doctors 66% more often than men. This been is pretty much mirrored in absenteeism statistics in the workplace.

Sorry sister but unlike your malingering self I actually have something wrong with me So would you kindly stop projecting your inner guilt onto me in some childish attempt to drag everyone down to your levels of sickness.

I've often thought it odd how women seem to spend half their lives at the doctors*yet belittle male illness as 'man flu. I think it's some image aversion to being the centre of the frikkin universe.

*Gov stats reveal that women visit the doctors 66% more often than men. This been is pretty much mirrored in absenteeism statistics in the workplace.

Sorry sister but unlike your malingering self I actually have something wrong with me So would you kindly stop projecting your inner guilt onto me in some childish attempt to drag everyone down to your levels of sickness.
???

I kicked my 40 year smoking habit 18 months ago so I want to know Marvo did you still try to smoke. I know I did, have had terrible chest infections made worse by asthma and still tried to smoke nearly killing myself.
I didn't smoke for the 5 days I was really sick but I'm almost back to full speed with the coffin nails now I'm feeling better.

..... I'd quite like a duvet day, but not on your scale!
Yeah, be careful what you wish for. I wouldn't wish whatever God forsaken virus I had on my worst enemy.

Was a hardened smoker for 40 yrs and on a whim got a vaping kit, lit my last cigarette and said that's it. My girlfriend who never nagged me was shocked as she said my addictiveness would prevent me from quitting and the first two weeks was a bitch but hey ho never touched one since.

I used to hate the fact I was addicted and couldn't give up, I hated it so much that one day back in the 1980's I decided to prove I could break the habit and I quit cold-turkey. I set my goal as 3 years which I figured was more than long enough to prove I'd beaten the habit. 3 years later, almost to the day I started smoking again.

Reply to I'd forgotton how miserable it is. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock