Discuss Insulation and Cables in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We all know you should not run PVC cables in Foam insulation (Kingspan etc) as the foam
attacks the pvc. However is this the case for Upvc ? Can you use conduit or trunking
or even 1.5" domestic waste pipe to run cables through this. I have a job and need to
run pvc and some swa through the 100mm underfloor insulation, it will be laying onto the concrete slab. Will the foam attack the Upvc ? Any ideas ? regards

PVC that is used to make conduit and trunking is different from cable sheath PVC. In cables a plasticiser is used to keep the cables flexible and its this plasticiser that migrates on contact with polystyrene causing the cable sheath to become sticky and eventually brittle. The PVC used to construct conduit and trunking is unmodified and is a hard brittle material. So my thinking is that by protecting the cable with either conduit or trunking should be ok. Hope this helps.

Reply to Insulation and Cables in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I'm a DIY'er looking to build a 6x8 shed in my backyard in Colorado. I'm installing a gravel pad first, with 4 concrete Sonotube...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Have a relatively simple question. Doing a rewire to make a circuit in a single room. My father is a retired spark, so no worries about a...
Replies
Views
Hey all, Ive been in and out of a huge house rewiring as the renovate it for a year of so. Every is thing done and dusted except the downstairs...
Replies
Views
Hi, A few years ago I had some cables run from my fuse board to my kitchen. The cables were laid inside my house through the concrete base. There...
Replies
Views
Hi All I would appreciate some help with a few questions here regarding cables sizing, I'm using the latest 18th edition, amendment 2. Q1...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock