Discuss Intercom system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I have just taken on a new job which involves 8 flats. I have been asked to install a intercom system for the flats. My questions are what is the best cable to use as I have read either cat5e or alarm cable are good options? Also a more open question is how are they wired briefly I assume from looking up its just one cat5e or alarm cable to each phone back to the main panel, one cable to the front door panel and a cable to the door lock all back to the main panel which is supplied by 240 to the transformer?! I'm sure I will be ok with connecting up as they are usually supplied with wiring diagrams. If anyone could help me with this would be greatly appreciated!

Also so can I add a extra door lock to a different door for one flat on the same system as thy have two entrances into one flat!

Thanks Rob

Rights Rob.
is this a replacement or a new install to start with?
if it was a new install I probably would wire it in cat 5e rather than alarm or phone cable.
i find it a bit thicker csa wise and you probably would need twisted pairs for the speech anyway.
i have recently finished a refurb of a 6 way+trades and will tell you the pitfalls
the system was an ancient terraneo wired in 3 pair phone wire
I opted for a bell security system with a Paxton prox tag reader built in
it was a fair bit cheaper than the videx counterpart and the prox tag reader was a lot simpler to program.
i got it up running and it worked well
only downside was getting people in the flats to change the handsets
and when you did I found 3/6 had been chopped off and had to extend the cable !
also the flat cables I meticulously marked were wrong to start with so the call wires were ringing the wrong flat
this took a bit of time as some of the zoomer residents didn't know what flat they stayed in
if you are fitting maglocks allow for a relay to switch from the panel as they need a supply of their own usually
also a time lock for the trades button and about 30 prox tags.
hope this is of assistance
DCF

Rights Rob.
is this a replacement or a new install to start with?
if it was a new install I probably would wire it in cat 5e rather than alarm or phone cable.
i find it a bit thicker csa wise and you probably would need twisted pairs for the speech anyway.
i have recently finished a refurb of a 6 way+trades and will tell you the pitfalls
the system was an ancient terraneo wired in 3 pair phone wire
I opted for a bell security system with a Paxton prox tag reader built in
it was a fair bit cheaper than the videx counterpart and the prox tag reader was a lot simpler to program.
i got it up running and it worked well
only downside was getting people in the flats to change the handsets
and when you did I found 3/6 had been chopped off and had to extend the cable !
also the flat cables I meticulously marked were wrong to start with so the call wires were ringing the wrong flat
this took a bit of time as some of the zoomer residents didn't know what flat they stayed in
if you are fitting maglocks allow for a relay to switch from the panel as they need a supply of their own usually
also a time lock for the trades button and about 30 prox tags.
hope this is of assistance
DCF

Thanks mate, Ye as you both suggest determine the system I will be using then work from there, as long as a cat5e has the right amount of cores then happy days! This project is at early stages and not even started 1st fix yet so no rush at the moment but I appreciate the help. It was also a new system I am instilling!

and beware of cat5 cable that is marked cca. that means copper coated aluminium. cheap and nasty.

I'd check the specific manufacturers instruction as some require all cables to be taken to the front door panel and connected there (I.e. 6 cat-5e from each of the flats, 1 to door lock, 1 to timer & supply module situated within the landlords supply area).

I'd also check to see whether the lock and system supplied are of a 'normally open' or 'normally closed' closed design and whether they are AC or DC etc.

Sent ... using the force!!

Im doing one that has only a 2core flex loop to each flat phone and you address the phone to the flat no' that the visitor enters to call on the door panel, this speaker call system is then link to a standard door latching control board...

There is no real answer here as you need to know what system you have and the length and number of points, any of these can change the requirements of the cable choice and layout.

Cat5 will give you problems, as the cable always breaks at the terminals......I always use twisted pair screened Beldon cable.
Most systems today run on a 2 wire network, this will allow all video phones to be linked in each floor riser, using spitters and a psu. Most systems like Comlite, BPT have added features for multiple entrance units and multiple entry phones.

Reply to Intercom system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net