Discuss Irish PIRs a few queries in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Mikegh

Esteemed
Reaction score
Hey guys

On the summary test data, the "Minimum IR" Is that a global reading they're looking for ie ; just the entire installation tested

Or is every final circuit tested during the PIR to find the lowest reading

Also for a 4(doesn't comply with current rules), how do you determine if anything needs to be done.
Do you need to know the age of the installation work ?

Same there for location of switches , are they looking for correct height from et101 on ?

Old work only needs to comply with old regs doesn't it ?

New to them cheers

On the summary test data, the "Minimum IR" Is that a global reading they're looking for ie ; just the entire installation tested

Or is every final circuit tested during the PIR to find the lowest reading.
each circuit needs to be a min of 1Meg. to "pass". but anything under 2 Meg. should be investigated

Also for a 4(doesn't comply with current rules), how do you determine if anything needs to be done.
Do you need to know the age of the installation work ?
not absolutely necessary. but an estimate should be entered on the report

Same there for location of switches , are they looking for correct height from et101 on ?
i'd imagine it's the location, e.g. kitchen/hallway/unser stairs etc.

Old work only needs to comply with old regs doesn't it ?
no.it must be safe for continued use, even if not complying with current regulations. e.g. lack of RCD protection on lighting circuits does not constitute an unsatisfactory, but any present orpotential danger would, irrespective of whatever edition it was installed to.

New to them cheers

Can’t say for Irish rules, but if you do a global IR, and get a good result…. Individual circuits can’t be any less value.
One bad IR will bring down the global, then it’s a game of fault hunting

Can’t say for Irish rules, but if you do a global IR, and get a good result…. Individual circuits can’t be any less value.
One bad IR will bring down the global, then it’s a game of fault hunting

Ya that was always my thinking ,.the global IR covered most bases if it was adequate

like the aer fungus lingus pilot sends out a mayday with both engines dead. controller asks him for his height and location, he replies:

I'm 5'9" and sitting in the front seat.

It's for the installation as a whole (i.e. in parallel) or for the distribution circuit including DB with all outgoing circuits included for larger installations.

Yes they are asking for confirmation that switches etc. we're installed at the correct height and location at the time of installation.

I presume you have a QC Number?

It's for the installation as a whole (i.e. in parallel) or for the distribution circuit including DB with all outgoing circuits included for larger installations.
Cheers so I think I'm right you'd be disconnecting the MPC for the global IR test at the main board, 1Mohm min is it?

The 1Mohm also applies to each final circuit as well does it not ? been a while since doing this

Cheers so I think I'm right you'd be disconnecting the MPC for the global IR test at the main board, 1Mohm min is it?

The 1Mohm also applies to each final circuit as well does it not ? been a while since doing this
Personally I'd disconnect the neutral rather than main protective conductor to ensure all Earth paths are included. I.S. 10101 mentions this although ET 101 didn't.

The minimum values stated are for the entire installation/DB.

Personally I'd disconnect the neutral rather than main protective conductor to ensure all Earth paths are included. I.S. 10101 mentions this although ET 101 didn't.

The minimum values stated are for the entire installation/DB.
Must be getting our wires crossed here

I'm envisaging all live wires joined at the main board meggering to the MET for the 1st global IR test

If you disconnect MPC link how are you removing earth paths ?

Must be getting our wires crossed here

I'm envisaging all live wires joined at the main board meggering to the MET for the 1st global IR test

If you disconnect MPC link how are you removing earth paths ?
You're potentially excluding Earth faults to the neutralising link between the ESB cut-out and the DB.

You're potentially excluding Earth faults to the neutralising link between the ESB cut-out and the DB.
Sounds to me like chances of that are slim to none

Anyway cheers ,.do you happen to have a quick description for certs 1, 2, 3 is it, the difference

Also restricted and controlled works makes my head hurt

Is restricted anything that's not minor works ?

Im getting lost on controlled works cheers again

Reply to Irish PIRs a few queries in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock