Discuss Is this possible in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

JayKay70

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking to replace my solar lights with electric lights and was wondering if the following pictures is possible?

Basically i want to daisy chain the new lights starting from the far left light and end on the far right light (total of 12 lights) and then into a box that is inside my house which is connected to a light switch in the kitchen.

Please see piccys for more insight (sorry about the picture, it was the only was i could try and show all lights i want to replace)

All the best

Jay

Attachments

• Is this possible 1 - EletriciansForums.net
    1.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Is this possible 2 - EletriciansForums.net
    2.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 44
Yes, it’s possible. However I would recommend extra low voltage lights with a transformer next to the box, and 12v feeding the lights.

There are safety issues by running full 230v mains voltage on a temporary structure such as a timber fence.

Yes, it’s possible. However I would recommend extra low voltage lights with a transformer next to the box, and 12v feeding the lights.

There are safety issues by running full 230v mains voltage on a temporary structure such as a timber fence.

Hi thanks for the reply, sorry for a late response, been looking online for light kits.

Jeez most of the kits i have found for 12 lights come to around £340, just for the Techmar Deimos Garden Outdoor Wall Light Bundle - 8 Light Kit comes too £247........Not sure i want to spend that much.

However i did find the following for £60.00 per kit.....

Product Details: Luceco LED 12V Garden Spike Kit 4 Pack
12V plug and play ‘do-it-yourself’ install, using simple push and twist connectors.
4 x 3W, 4 x 200 lumen, 4000k
230V to 12V adaptor included
Weatherproof rated to IP65 (adaptor rated to IP20)
Add extra spikes to the circuit for added coverage – 8 spikes maximum
1.8 metre spacing between spikes as standard
High impact die-cast housing for durability within garden applications
Tough H05RN-F rubber cable
Integrated LED spike with tilt and rotatable head

I was going to buy 3 of the above which would give me my 12 lights but then i read "Add extra spikes to the circuit for added coverage – 8 spikes maximum"

Question is do you know why it cannot be extended to 12 spikes maximum?

All the best

Jay

Hi thanks for the reply, sorry for a late response, been looking online for light kits.

Jeez most of the kits i have found for 12 lights come to around £340, just for the Techmar Deimos Garden Outdoor Wall Light Bundle - 8 Light Kit comes too £247........Not sure i want to spend that much.

However i did find the following for £60.00 per kit.....

Product Details: Luceco LED 12V Garden Spike Kit 4 Pack
12V plug and play ‘do-it-yourself’ install, using simple push and twist connectors.
4 x 3W, 4 x 200 lumen, 4000k
230V to 12V adaptor included
Weatherproof rated to IP65 (adaptor rated to IP20)
Add extra spikes to the circuit for added coverage – 8 spikes maximum
1.8 metre spacing between spikes as standard
High impact die-cast housing for durability within garden applications
Tough H05RN-F rubber cable
Integrated LED spike with tilt and rotatable head

I was going to buy 3 of the above which would give me my 12 lights but then i read "Add extra spikes to the circuit for added coverage – 8 spikes maximum"

Question is do you know why it cannot be extended to 12 spikes maximum?

All the best

Jay

This will likely be because of the driver (the transformer/plug that drives the LEDs) being limited to its output, such that it can only cope with 8 lights (24W).

You could run 12 lights, but it would mean running two of the drivers, one cable running up to 8, and one running the remaining lights.

Doing it this way, you could consider running two 'feeds' from 2 transformers, which feed 6 alternate lights. Then in the case that a transformer fails, you lose half the lights but not all.

The drivers for the Luceco kit you are looking at appear to need to be plugged into a socket, and won't fit in an external IP rated socket, so would either need to be installed into a suitable waterproof box or to an indoor socket.

Is the existing white box on an outdoor wall, or in a conservatory? It's not an IP rated one, so shouldn't be currently exposed to any elements hopefully?

You may be better finding a supplier that sells lights individually, then find a suitable driver that can supply them all. They may be more expensive, but the quality (and likelihood of them lasting multiple years) may be better.

This will likely be because of the driver (the transformer/plug that drives the LEDs) being limited to its output, such that it can only cope with 8 lights (24W).

You could run 12 lights, but it would mean running two of the drivers, one cable running up to 8, and one running the remaining lights.

Doing it this way, you could consider running two 'feeds' from 2 transformers, which feed 6 alternate lights. Then in the case that a transformer fails, you lose half the lights but not all.

The drivers for the Luceco kit you are looking at appear to need to be plugged into a socket, and won't fit in an external IP rated socket, so would either need to be installed into a suitable waterproof box or to an indoor socket.

Is the existing white box on an outdoor wall, or in a conservatory? It's not an IP rated one, so shouldn't be currently exposed to any elements hopefully?

You may be better finding a supplier that sells lights individually, then find a suitable driver that can supply them all. They may be more expensive, but the quality (and likelihood of them lasting multiple years) may be better.

Sorry to be a pain but would this work........

Would it work if i was to buy 3 x Luceco LED 12V Garden Kit (4 pack) which will give me my total of 12 which would be a total of 36w as each light is 3w

And not use the adaptor that comes with it as it looks like it can only hold 24w, instead i connect it too a LED Transformer 60w, LED Power Supply 60W LED Driver Adapter 12V DC 5A.

See diagram.

Attachments

• Is this possible Diagram - EletriciansForums.net
    Diagram.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 20
Sorry to be a pain but would this work........

Would it work if i was to buy 3 x Luceco LED 12V Garden Kit (4 pack) which will give me my total of 12 which would be a total of 36w as each light is 3w

And not use the adaptor that comes with it as it looks like it can only hold 24w, instead i connect it too a LED Transformer 60w, LED Power Supply 60W LED Driver Adapter 12V DC 5A.

See diagram.
Yes that should work, with 2 caveats...

1. There will be a maximum length of cable that any driver will work to power lights, although I suspect you'll be fine from looking at the pictures

2. You'll need to check that the driver you get is compatible with the lights. There are constant current ones and constant voltage ones. From a quick look it does appear that the one that comes with the luceco will be a constant voltage one, but as long as you match that and choose one with the suitable higher rating, then you should be fine. Just bear in mind that you'll likely void any warranty that comes with the lights if you don't install them as per manufacturers instructions.

Yes that should work, with 2 caveats...

1. There will be a maximum length of cable that any driver will work to power lights, although I suspect you'll be fine from looking at the pictures

2. You'll need to check that the driver you get is compatible with the lights. There are constant current ones and constant voltage ones. From a quick look it does appear that the one that comes with the luceco will be a constant voltage one, but as long as you match that and choose one with the suitable higher rating, then you should be fine. Just bear in mind that you'll likely void any warranty that comes with the lights if you don't install them as per manufacturers instructions.
Many thanks for your help, last few questions....i will get there in the end ?

1: You mention maximum length of cable for the driver, just measured and from light number 12 (see piccy) it measures roughly about 3 foot from the light to the power supply driver and about 8 foot from the power supply driver to the power supply box.....would that be ok?

2: I have read up on the lights and i think they have live/neutral/earth so when i cut the adaptor that comes with it off i will have live/neutral/earth to go into the power supply driver but looking at the driver it only has: Live/Neutral out + Live/Neutral in....where does the earth go?

Note: That light i read up on was the same light but a single one that simply plugs into the mains, maybe that would explain the earth wire?

Description of the power supply driver:

COOLWEST 60W LED Power Supply Driver Transformer 12V DC 5A - Constant Voltage for LED Strip Light G4 MR16 MR11 GU10 Bulbs

Many thanks for your help, last few questions....i will get there in the end ?

1: You mention maximum length of cable for the driver, just measured and from light number 12 (see piccy) it measures roughly about 3 foot from the light to the power supply driver and about 8 foot from the power supply driver to the power supply box.....would that be ok?

2: I have read up on the lights and i think they have live/neutral/earth so when i cut the adaptor that comes with it off i will have live/neutral/earth to go into the power supply driver but looking at the driver it only has: Live/Neutral out + Live/Neutral in....where does the earth go?

Note: That light i read up on was the same light but a single one that simply plugs into the mains, maybe that would explain the earth wire?

Description of the power supply driver:

COOLWEST 60W LED Power Supply Driver Transformer 12V DC 5A - Constant Voltage for LED Strip Light G4 MR16 MR11 GU10 Bulbs

1. Those sorts of lengths shouldn't be a problem. However, I'm slightly confused by your use of the terms 'power supply driver' and 'power supply box'?

Really I'd recommend putting the driver as close to the box you showed a picture of in your first post as possible. The driver will have mains voltage going in to it from that box, so will need to be terminated in some sort of enclosure safely - a double plastic back box might be adequate if that location is inside and the driver isn't too big... You might even be able to alter the existing single box to a double one.

Then the cable you run to the lights can be the 12V cable extensions that come with it, or any suitable flex - as it's low voltage there is much less risk of shock so not as necessary to be sure that it's protected though you may want to keep it out of the way of foxes/squirrels etc who do like to have a nibble.

2 The driver will likely not have an earth connection on the mains feed in as it will be double insulated (logo of a square within a square) and does not need one. Any cable feeding it (if not within the same enclosure) should have an earth though which is terminated correctly at the supply end.

When you cut off the plug adapters, you will almost certainly find it's 2 core flex - the one you were looking at was probably mains voltage to the light fitting, with a transformer internally if LED, or direct to a 240V lamp if it was a GU10 type.

In a garden, it's generally much safer to have only 12V going through cables - and much less worrisome if there is a problem.

One final thought- you may be best buying one of the kits first to double check the driver requirements (it should be written on the transformer plug)

It's possible that it could be 12V AC, rather than 12V DC, which would require a different driver to the one you've mentioned. It doesn't seem to specify anywhere on the data sheet or descriptions I can find of the light.

Re the driver you did mention - There is always a bit of a risk with a random name driver from Amazon that it will either not be very reliable, or will not last too long - so I'd generally recommend getting one from a reputable supplier - some of the reviews on that model look a little less than stellar....

1. Those sorts of lengths shouldn't be a problem. However, I'm slightly confused by your use of the terms 'power supply driver' and 'power supply box'?

Really I'd recommend putting the driver as close to the box you showed a picture of in your first post as possible. The driver will have mains voltage going in to it from that box, so will need to be terminated in some sort of enclosure safely - a double plastic back box might be adequate if that location is inside and the driver isn't too big... You might even be able to alter the existing single box to a double one.

Then the cable you run to the lights can be the 12V cable extensions that come with it, or any suitable flex - as it's low voltage there is much less risk of shock so not as necessary to be sure that it's protected though you may want to keep it out of the way of foxes/squirrels etc who do like to have a nibble.

2 The driver will likely not have an earth connection on the mains feed in as it will be double insulated (logo of a square within a square) and does not need one. Any cable feeding it (if not within the same enclosure) should have an earth though which is terminated correctly at the supply end.

When you cut off the plug adapters, you will almost certainly find it's 2 core flex - the one you were looking at was probably mains voltage to the light fitting, with a transformer internally if LED, or direct to a 240V lamp if it was a GU10 type.

In a garden, it's generally much safer to have only 12V going through cables - and much less worrisome if there is a problem.

One final thought- you may be best buying one of the kits first to double check the driver requirements (it should be written on the transformer plug)

It's possible that it could be 12V AC, rather than 12V DC, which would require a different driver to the one you've mentioned. It doesn't seem to specify anywhere on the data sheet or descriptions I can find of the light.

Re the driver you did mention - There is always a bit of a risk with a random name driver from Amazon that it will either not be very reliable, or will not last too long - so I'd generally recommend getting one from a reputable supplier - some of the reviews on that model look a little less than stellar....
Sorry i should of said:

Power Supply Driver = Constant Voltage LED Driver
Power Supply Box = I have a light switch in my kitchen that is wired to a box that is in a porch that is inside my house, a room that seperates the kitchen from the garden, the box right now is being used to power up a security light in the garden, i will be using that same box to power up the LED Driver.

Hope that makes sense, i'm starting to confuse myself now ?

I have done another diagram that should make things more clearer.

I will try and find a box to cover the LED driver (still looking for one)

I have sourced another driver with the details below and a picture of it in the diagram, hopefully this one is better than the one from Amazon.

Mean Well Constant Voltage LED Driver 60W 12V, MPN: LPV-60-12
Brand: Mean Well
Dimmable: No
IP Rating Specifications: IP67
Operation Mode Specifications: Constant Voltage
Output Voltage: 12V DC
Product Type: LED Driver
Sku: LPV-60-12
Warranty: 3 Years
Wattage: 60 W

Key Features:

Input voltage: Mains voltage 90-264V AC.
Output voltage: Choose between 12V, 24V, 36V or 48V DC.
Constant voltage, suitable for use with LED tape.
Wattage: 60W max.
Current ratings:
  • 12V 5 amps
  • 24V 2.5 amps
Suitable for use with LED strips and other constant voltage LED lighting installations.
This power supply is ideal for use under kitchen cabinets as it has mounting holes and can be screwed directly to the cabinets.
Non dimmable, we also have a wide range of mains dimmable LED drivers
Water and dust resistant to IP67.
Guarantee: 3 years
Manufacturer: Mean Well

I will contect the seller to see if that transformer plug is 12v AC or 12v DC

Hope the above makes sense.

Attachments

• Is this possible Light - EletriciansForums.net
    Light.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 7

Reply to Is this possible in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock