Discuss joining cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

1987tjs

i'm new to this forum so my question is. i've just starting to move the old consumer unit in the garage and change it with a new one . but the problem is that the cable (main coming from the house) is to short and was wundering if i could join them using a juntion box etc. i would replace the mains cable but it's 150ft long and not got the time (the garage is at the bottom of the garden). would it be ok to join it. i will be getting it checked by a electrian when i've finished. please help

Is the 150ft cable an swa , and if so there would,nt be a problem jointing it out via say adaptable box with suitable sized connectors.

no it's not swa it's just 6 or 10mm twin and earth

no it's not swa it's just 6 or 10mm twin and earth:eek:
I would hope it's protected in some way, i.e. some kind of pipe over that distance. :rolleyes:
My thoughts would be to install an isolator as a means of jointing the cable.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the cable rcd protected? Change the circuit in any way and it is not legal if it's not rcd protected. I would want more protection than plastic duct - replacing the cable with swa would be more sensible.

Reply to joining cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock