Discuss just a simple question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

plumbit

If the earth cables aren't connected from cu to the water and gas inlet pipes does that mean no electrical work to the rest of the building can go ahead.

If the earth cables aren't connected from cu to the water and gas inlet pipes does that mean no electrical work to the rest of the building can go ahead.

It means it needs to be sorted ASAP. Would be a code 1 on a PIR Requires urgent attention

The earths by the way should be connected via the main earthing terminal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wot if the main earth comes off the supply and straight into the CU with no external main earth terminal. Cant you use the bonding terminals inside the CU?

Its a good point but if you lost the main earth at the CU and the main equipotential bonding conductors were connected in the CU you have still lost your earths. And if an earth fault occurs then the metal work could become live

The idea is to bring all metal work to the same potential. If connected at the main earth terminal they still have a direct connection to earth (i.e. same potential as earth) if the main earth was lost at the CU.

I hope this garbled text makes sense.

Interesting point Warren, however, regs wise, main bonding is permitted to be connected to the CU providing they can be 'easily' disconnected for testing.

The new G.E. boards have an earth link that separates the main earth at the CU from the rest of the bar so Ze can be measured without bonding and earthing influencing the reading.

Good point about M.E. becoming disconnected tho.

Interesting point Warren, however, regs wise, main bonding is permitted to be connected to the CU providing they can be 'easily' disconnected for testing.

The new G.E. boards have an earth link that separates the main earth at the CU from the rest of the bar so Ze can be measured without bonding and earthing influencing the reading.

Good point about M.E. becoming disconnected tho.

Haven't seen them G.E. boards will have to take a look. ;)

Wot if you you lost the main earth at the MET? Its all ifs and buts! As long as the main bonding is in place and correctly connected to the main earth so that everything is at the same potential then i don't see as it makes any difference where the connections are made - MET or CU!

I have come across it in older installations but have always been under the impression that its better to use the MET for connection (if available) and seem to recall something about bonding close to the suppliers earth.

Thanks for the link! Who supplies them any of the main boys City, Edmunson, Newy, RS? Good price by the sounds of it!

Wot if you you lost the main earth at the MET? Its all ifs and buts! As long as the main bonding is in place and correctly connected to the main earth so that everything is at the same potential then i don't see as it makes any difference where the connections are made - MET or CU!

Like you say Daz its all ifs and buts. As I have said above I have come across it in older installations and have always been under the impression that it better to connect at the MET. It may just be a case of preference for ease of access? Might be a Regulation look up query.

I do agree Warren it is better at the MET if available and easily accessible but unfortunately that's not always the case. Will have a look at the regs thought just to check.

Reply to just a simple question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock