Discuss Just taken the C&G 2377-22/32 examinations ... in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Took the C&G 2377-22/32 exams yesterday so as to feel confident in PA testing the electrical equipment in our hotel. Don't feel any more confident than I did pre-exam, but at least I now have the qualifications and the IET book for reference! As the IET book focusses so heavily on the legislative/statutory/codes of practice side of things, can anyone recommend a good 2nd book that focusses entirely on PA testing in theory and practice, and which ideally relegates the statutory/c-o-p side of things to just an appendix or two ?

Confidence is not something you will gain from a book and the Code of Practice contains all the information you should need. If you have a portable appliance tester why not take it home and test your household equipment so you can familiarise yourself with it.

OK, thank you for your advice. In fact, I don't own a PA tester, as we will be borrowing one from another hotel to conduct our tests, so I won't be able to practise in advance, whence my interest in acquiring at least one other book that might help me to learn more about PA testing from a theoretical and practical (rather than a legal) perspective. Incidentally, the IET Code of Practice covers not only portable appliances (as in "PA" testing) but also movable, hand-held, stationary, fixed, "appliances for building-in", IT, etc. Despite the fact that the course which I took was entitled solely "PAT Testing", does the award of my C&G 2377-22/32 mean that I am now (at least in theory) qualified to test all the other types of appliance and equipment that the Code of Practice covers ?

Yes as long as you feel competent to do so. Hard wired equipment without a plug may require disconnection and adaptors for the tester like a lead with croc clips and of course following safe isolation procedures.

Thank you and noted, Sooby2. I am now beginning to wish I had invested in a PA tester, because I am about to deploy a new 230VAC 65W pump in my Koi pond and I would rather like to check its insulation resistance and earth impedance first !

Reply to Just taken the C&G 2377-22/32 examinations ... in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net