Discuss Ladder Stopper in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

I don't work off ladders now days, the Arthritis in my feet and hands would make it a very dodgy exercise to work off a ladder, even though through the years I have put in tie in points all around the UK house, this year I bought an extending lance for the Karcher to clean the gutters, and this helps elsewhere, impossible for me to climb the internal ladder though, youth is wasted on the young. ?France - 1 of 1.jpeg

Having read through the last few posts about the safety of the Rojak and the lack of endorsement by the HSE for it's use and then to quote various methods sited by the HSE is a bit odd, tying the ladder has no specific endorsement of the type and diameter of the rope or even the type of knots that must be used or whether the ladder lashing points if they are eyebolts should be regularly pull tested with an approved device
I doubt the HSE would specifically endorse any safety device as should an injury occur during the use of that device it would seriously compromise the HSE's ability to impartially investigate and ultimately prosecute if an incident caused a severe injury or death
As with all safety systems it is the operatives responsibility carry out a risk assessment on site to ensure they are suitable for the task to use them in the correct manor as advised by the manufacturer, personaly I have used the Rojak since it's early days without any problems at times I have tried to find it's absolute limitations and not found a surface that it fails on yet, am I bothered there is no HSE endorsement NO I'll carry on using it while I can still climb ladders

As with all safety systems it is the operatives responsibility carry out a risk assessment on site to ensure they are suitable for the task to use them in the correct manor as advised by the manufacturer

That's basically my thinking on the matter. Whether through training, common sense or a combination of both, it is basically down to the individual to determine whether natural selection claims their scalp or not. To date I've managed to survive working at height through a mixture of common sense and an instinctual understanding of gravity. If a ladder stopper can help make many situations safer, regulatory certification will not be on my list of concerns.

When I used to go up ladders off soft ground I would hammer in my wrecking bar over the bottom rung, it there was no way to tie the ladder too the structure.

Lashing points have to be certificated and tested at regular intervals the lashing itself has to be sufficient to prevent the ladder from moving down or sideways, the strength of the rope, string or cable tie is moot.

I had one of the ladder stoppers for years but unfortunately it disappeared on a job a while ago, most annoying! It was a really useful bit of kit, as UNG stated it was impossible to get ladders to slip on them, and I used to pull some iffy things off on ladders when I was younger as I'm sure we all have trying to get the job done!
Having had a few near misses recently and seeing this thread I have bought another one.

Reply to Ladder Stopper in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net