Discuss leccy question in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

newspark2

Hi, Iam a gas eng with a tech question.

A boiler fan resistance measures 44ohms, connected to a 230v supply. What current will it pull from the mains.

TIA.

5.2A,but sounds a bit high,what kind of boiler is it domestic/industrial? check plate on fan motor for FLC(full load current cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Iam a gas eng with a tech question.

A boiler fan resistance measures 44ohms, connected to a 230v supply. What current will it pull from the mains.

TIA.

well theoretically it would be 5 amps, but you are talking about resistance - does that mean you have measured with a meter?

problem is you see, that is 'cold' DC resistance; when power is applied, we talk about impedence, which is a different ball game. Without getting into a technical lesson, there such factors as BackEMF, mutual induction,hysteris losses,inductive reactance etc etc that affect the (ac)'resistance' or impedence. This why on an ac component, the resistance is rarely given, its rating (in Watts) is given, as this is a product of impedence anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure the fan's connected to the mains? I would have thought the fan, along with the gas valve and such would be controlled from the circuit board which is usually in the 24V region.

Reply to leccy question in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, just looking for advice. Ive been to look at a Fire alarm install job. While checking where i will take my supply from. 3 phase sub board, i...
Replies
Views
I am currently looking to add 12v led cob strip lights to my mother's kitchen but confused what I need. There are currently mains wires under the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Buying a replacement extractor fan. It falls into zone one with the room setup. Looking at two fans. One is rated zone 1 one is rated zone 2...
Replies
Views
I have got these questions on 2391-52 inspection and testing but can't remember option of 1st two questions. Please any suggestion will be...
Replies
Views
I have not had to do the wiring for a wet underfloor heating system before. I think I started a thread fairly recently and had some very good...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock