Discuss light turning off on its own in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

stuarth

-
Arms
Reaction score
Looking for some help with a bedroom ceiling rose that goes out on its own after approx 2-5 mins, customer tells me they have changed the switch and the flex. So I checked the switch and the ceiling rose for lose connections all good, next I went in to the loft and there was loads of rodent mess so thought it must be rodents chewing on the cables but no all looks good. No other lights are effected on the circuit just this middle bedroom so IR tested the switch cable which came back at expected 500 M ohms, I expect some abuse now but what obvious thing am I missing (getting my excuses in early, its been a long and shity week)

Looking for some help with a bedroom ceiling rose that goes out on its own after approx 2-5 mins, customer tells me they have changed the switch and the flex. So I checked the switch and the ceiling rose for lose connections all good, next I went in to the loft and there was loads of rodent mess so thought it must be rodents chewing on the cables but no all looks good. No other lights are effected on the circuit just this middle bedroom so IR tested the switch cable which came back at expected 500 M ohms, I expect some abuse now but what obvious thing am I missing (getting my excuses in early, its been a long and shity week)

Hello Stuarth.

This may be a faulty lampholder.

Regards,

Colin Jenkins.

Does the lamp go off and stay off?
What type of lamp?
Is the feed to this lamp's circuit free from rodent damage?
Is any flickering observed on the other lamps?
Have you swapped the lampholder as suggested earlier?

PS: Don't get exasperated - folk on the EF love these sort of problems to solve - and you can too.

Yes I replaced the whole ceiling rose, yes it goes off and stays off, customer was going out so we ran out of time to check the entire run back to the board but the bedrooms closer to the board are not having any issues so assumed no damage. Never thought to ask about any flickering else where but will text them now.

With all these things that seem weird, best go back to basics with your tests.

I'm working maintenance in a building now, had few probs with stuff not working in two year old building. Example, switch not working on stairs, got new switch, took off old switch it had been incorrectly terminated.
Expect the unexpected. :)

I know they changed the lamp but if its the same batch then may be it is faulty as well.

Thanks everyone for your help, I will advise changing out the lamp with a known working lamp and see what comes back, if thats not the case then more testing and checking of previous fittings.

Reply to light turning off on its own in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock